Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quick Question - Pig Objections from neighbours  (Read 2279 times)

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
Quick Question - Pig Objections from neighbours
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:12 am »
POsted this in the Introduce Yourself section, but thought I would put it here as well  :wave:

Just saying hi and looking for some info.....

I am about to make the leap from keeping chickens etc to buying a property with 10+ acres to turn into a small holding /self sufficiency.

The property has horses and has previously change agricultural land to 'Keeping Horses', part of the acreage is still agricultural.

It is a rural property with farms in the surrounding area, sheep grazing and there are some neighbours along the lane but reasonably well spaced apart.

The question I have, is there any specific rules / restrictions on keeping pigs on your land?

I have all the defra rules and regulations regarding registration, movements, animal welfare and nuisances etc but having googled the question to death I haven't found anything to prevent this or for any one to object (apart from smells)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me

Rob

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Quick Question - Pig Objections from neighbours
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:52 am »
I don't keep pigs myself yet but will be moving to my new smallholding in 2 weeks and pigs are one of the first things i plan to get. From the research i have done I have found nothing that would prevent you from getting them as long as, like you say, you have your CPH number etc.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:20:00 am »
Unless they are specifically mentioned in your deeds as a no no then you can keep what you want so long as you have the corect rules & regs in place whether it be pigs or giraffes!
HTH
mandy :pig:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »
Have your neighbours objected, or do you just fear they will?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:41:28 pm »
I am of the belief that you can keep any animal on a paddock, however if you keep them on agricultural land then you must evidence that they are livestock and will be used for food or fur.
A receipt from slaughter house would suffice.
A planning officer from your council should be able to confirm the regs in your area.

I am currently going through a similar problem with my goats which are on an agricultural field but I use them for pet therapy so can't evidence that they are livestock, which means I have to change the use to a paddock.

It's total bureaucracy whats the difference between goats in a field or goats in a paddock!

Good luck
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

RobJJ

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »
Thanks all...

No complaints, but just want to be sure that I am able to, as we are purchasing this as a life style change (Planning History has shown some local objections when they wanted to increase the stables, but that was due to traffic, running a business etc)

They will be for meat, but the plans will be to breed as well if all goes to plan.

I have found the 60m rule in the 'Local Government (General) Regulations 2005', but that is to do with towns, shops and urban areas (P251, Part 5, Division1 Keeping of swine), however with 10+ acres, the area I am thinking off will be 60+m away from a neighbours fence, so will not be in breach of that.

I will be checking that there are no covenants on the land before we progress.

Been planning this for 2 years now, just waiting for the house sale to go through (Chain fell through 4 times!!, we are now on the 5th) and to find the right place.

:thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS