Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Docking  (Read 7592 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Docking
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:28 pm »
Cheeky sonso! I can see why you refused! And yes would be great to introduce the bobtail genes into all working lines, three generations really isn't that long and the demand and interest would be there for the foundation generations too!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
Wish I had never asked now  ::)
Graham

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:27 pm »
Wish I had never asked now  ::)
Why not - it's a very good topic and well worth discussing.  There are pros and cons for docking.

I used to do it with my Cockers, and Brittanys, I didn't like doing it so I'm happy I can produce bobtails, but if I was allowed to and had to do it to sell to working homes I would.

I know that a number of HPR breeds are split in Scotland because working people aren't keen on having dogs with tails.

We really need the whole country to be the same - whichever way it is.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »
Just thought I'd add my opinion on docking.
I have springer spaniels. They have long docks so are able to balance and communicate normally. I have seen some horrific injuries to undocked spaniel tails because they thrash then when they are hunting. Once these tails are damaged they rarely heal as you cannot stop a spaniel from wagging. This often leads to the end of the tail having to be amputated and the wound takes ages to heal (again, because they won't stop wagging!). This type of injury seems to be on the increase in Scotland since the docking ban.
Just my thoughts.
I have attached a picture of one with a nice long dock (not a good picture but the only one in which his tail is not a blur from wagging!!)
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »
my natural short tailed Brittany pup (5 months) has a Springer dock length of tail
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 05:58:27 pm »
Okay, all you folks with working spaniels with long tails ... please tell me whether it is normal to clip the long hair, to make it less likely to catch on brambles etc?  And if not, why not?

As an outsider to these breeds it would seem obvious to me that you'd trim the feathering in such dogs that will be scampering about in undergrowth...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »
I'll be trimming Missy's feathering, - for two reasons - work and showring. :fc:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:20 am »
Okay, all you folks with working spaniels with long tails ... please tell me whether it is normal to clip the long hair, to make it less likely to catch on brambles etc?  And if not, why not?

As an outsider to these breeds it would seem obvious to me that you'd trim the feathering in such dogs that will be scampering about in undergrowth...
Mine have long docks but we do trim them in the working season. It is not generally that they get caught up in brambles though, it is the high speed thrashing impact injuries which split the end of the tail.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS