Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken tractor?  (Read 2840 times)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
Chicken tractor?
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:37:43 pm »
Does anyone here have any plans they would like to share on making a chicken tractor? I finally have my new chicks and I need to build them a tractor. Right now they are in a stall in the barn. :chook:
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Chicken tractor?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:32 pm »
What in the world is a chicken tractor?  The mind boggles!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:06:27 pm »
What in the world is a chicken tractor?  The mind boggles!

I was thinking the same but thought I was being stupid - thanks Mirimiran. :)

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
I'm sorry, a chicken tractor is a movable chicken coup. This is so you can drag (or the ones with retractable wheels) it from place to place so the chickens can eat grass and bugs. When they have eaten up the grass in that spot you simply move it to another.
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »
I saw a fabulous chicken tractor the other day that was built out of upvc piping and covered with chicken wire. Its shape was like a geodesic dome. THe guy who had built it had pegged it into the ground and once un pegged he could lift it really easily. Inside he had created a bamboo raft which he suspended from the top for the hens to roost on.
The design had come from an australian permaculture book. Apparently it doesn't work quite so well in Scotland because of our limited growing season. In Australia the vegetation was so lush it could be moved around much more quickly.
If I can figure out how to post a picture i'll add it later.
A simpler build would be the timber framed pyramid or triangular tube with no floor.
kirsty

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »
Now those farm traffic road signs make sense. a black tractor in a red triangle. They are being driven by chickens.

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:36 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS