Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Creosote treatment for chicken coops  (Read 12631 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Creosote treatment for chicken coops
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:19:20 am »
I understand that treating chicken coops with creosote keeps mites etc at bay.

As I am not a professional, I cannot get hold of this product.

Do creosote alternatives/imitations such as creoseal have the same effect?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Creosote treatment for chicken coops
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:14 am »
The DIY product is called Creocote and is available in 5 Litre bottles Suziequeue. I have been told it is not as effective as original creosote, but it must have some preventative effect. Red mite love clean new wood as I have found out. Within the cracks in it they multiply rapidly, so anything you can do to make the wood 'dirty' has got to help. Make sure, if you can, to turn the coop panels upside down to get the stuff into the tongue and groove joints of the cladding. That may not be possible with some coops. I doubt Creocote will eradicate red mite once they are established though.

Surprised you can't buy proper creosote though Suziequeue -in 30L drums we got. A traditional agricultural merchants will have it and if you have a CHP number there is no argument.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:54 am »
Oh - right - I'll give that a try.

Thanks  :D :D

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 11:25:00 am »
I bought creosote off the internet with no problem.  I have however had a huge problem getting the bloody stuff to dry... the consequence is.... this week I will be wiping off the damp stuff with white spirit  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:57:27 am »
Yes Suziequeue, I bought 'traditional' creosote from the web, armed with nothing more than a CPH number and credit card.

Just take the proper precautions when you apply it - it was banned for joe public for a reason!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
If you do get proper Creosote Suziequeue, dilute it with paraffin 50:50 to treat your coop inside. Just as effective as undiluted, but dries in a fraction of the time.

As Womble says, be careful. I was rather ill after applying it inside a coop from breathing in the fumes and I burned my hands with the stuff as well. I am far more careful now.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »
If you do get proper Creosote Suziequeue, dilute it with paraffin 50:50 to treat your coop inside. Just as effective as undiluted, but dries in a fraction of the time.

Oh right - I will get hold of some of that then.

How long before I can let chickens back in???

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
Depends on the weather there and if the coop has been treated without dismantling. In warm sunny weather and good air circulation with the coop fully disassembled I allow two weeks to get rid of the smell -the stuff is touch dry in a couple of days. I never treat the nest boxes because in the sun you can get fumes given off for a long time at afterwards -perhaps 6 months. Guess that is what keeps the mites away for a year. Best drying place I have is a greenhouse.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:03 pm »
I got it last year from an agricultural supplier. Only drawback was that it was in a huge container - guess it'll last me a lifetime. Like Chris says, it takes a while to dry. I applied in the heat of the summer and it still took a couple of weeks before I felt comfortable letting the hens back in. In cool, damp weather I can imagine it could takes weeks to dry - if ever - so the suggestion to dilute with paraffin sounds a good plan.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 12:45:26 pm »
Our local agricultural supplier sells it, smallest quantity is 20L. They do have an online shop and will deliver.
I offered him my CPH and was quite disappointed that he didnt' even want it though?!  I thought I was special being allowed to buy the 'real stuff' rather than creocote...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS