Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Difficult to get planning for farm buildings etc?  (Read 9770 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Difficult to get planning for farm buildings etc?
« on: September 28, 2009, 10:54:36 pm »
I would be interested to know how easy/hard it is to get planning for buildings on farm land, in your area?

We live on the edge of the Peak National Park (only just outside by about a couple of miles) and are in an area of outstanding beauty too.
It is very difficult to get planning for stables, barns, field shelters or anything else on fields.  The big farmers seem to be able to get their big barns up without too much trouble, but us smaller farms have problems.

I have been turned down for an extension on our small stone barn, which houses some of the goats and little pony and sheep.  They said they preferred wooden ....then turned that down too ???  I must confess that my open fronted goat shelter, just big enough for two goats, plus the llama if he squeezes in when it rains,  was put up with no planning, but I did expect a visit, and possibly it could still come!!

On my way home from work, I pass a small field shelter that was used for a pony.  Someone has now put a few sheep, and about 8 weaned calves on the land, and then extended the shelter.  They did it nicely, so it was not an eyesore.  A couple of weeks ago, sitting outside the  new shelter, writing on a form, was what looked to me like a council official.  Someone must have reported the new building.  Now I notice they have had to put in retrospective planning for a calf field shelter.

I cannot see why it needs planning, as its open fronted, and from what I can see, has no floor.  Having said that, I have been told by the planners that any building on any field round here needs planning!!!

Just how do they expect us to hoiuse our animals if they turn down sheds to keep them in!!!  One man near us put up a shed for his sheep, made to take it down, so he errected a large white marquee, which stood out a lot more.......eventually the council gave in and he was able to put up a lot larger shed than the first one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Difficult to get planning for farm buildings etc?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:43:42 pm »
One man near us put up a shed for his sheep, made to take it down, so he errected a large white marquee, which stood out a lot more.......eventually the council gave in and he was able to put up a lot larger shed than the first one.
That's exactly how to play it - this is a game!  If you challenge them and play them at their own game you have a chance of winning!  Well done that man!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:58:55 am »
I can only speak for here but our planners told me that you don't need planning permission to put up an agricultural building if certan criteria are met. These didn't seem too onerous to be honest. Maybe a national park is different. And getting PP for a house here is nigh on impossible.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:04:15 am »
Why not just get an appointment with your planning officer on your land and ask what would be acceptable. That's what we did, and were granted permission for a house with no problem.
You need to work with these people, or they are a nightmare!!!
We didn't need planning for our sheep shed as it is an agricultural building but I'm not sure which criteria you need for that status!!
Go on, phone them up and ask to see them!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:41:19 pm by ukag0972 »

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
I have not tried to get planning permission for farm buildings but I did try for a garage once.  I have a big front garden which can fit 5 cars.  I wanted a small lean-to garage for my elderly friend, so that his car was protected.  I phoned up and was told that because it was in the front of the house, it would not be acceptable.  Next question was, what about these temporary tent/marquees?  Yes, that was acceptable because it was temporary.  My local goat lady keeps her goats in pig arks and calf arks and moves them around.  They are temporary.  Possible solution? 

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
It does depend on what your area is like. Like Rosemary, our area is fine about agricultural buildings, Thats partly why we chose our style of shed, because had we wanted to put up a block of stables, we would have needed planning permission! As it was we needed to notify neighbours and a few other bits and pieces, but that was all.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 04:26:45 pm »
I have had the planning people out a couple of times ....all positive etc. then refused our applications.

I do want a shed for livestock, but quite often they pass them and say its only for machinery, hay and straw etc...... although we are detached there are cottages just over the field, and apparantly nowadays, residents can have a say in what they view, although the shed would be behind the hedge, so out of view.

There are also laws about discharging slurry etc. and you are meant to have collecting tanks, which would be costly ....especially as we have a large mortgage and renovation costs.  The barn next to the house is where my hay is currently, but really to make the house useable, the barn needs to be living accommodation, which the planners may not look positive about either.

Yet, I go into other areas (a few miles away) and they seem to be able to put up virtually what they want, in what style they want, without planning.

A farmer has told me that he believes I can put up a "pole barn" for my livestock without planning (he has done this).  The trouble round here is if you ask you get turned down, then you cannot very well just go ahead or you will be in trouble.  And its nearly £300 to apply for permission, a lot of money to keep getting turned down.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 04:40:38 pm »
If you apply for planning consent and pay the requisite fee (I just paid £240 for outline planning for a house back in Aberdeenshire) and they refuse consent, then you can take the case to appeal, first to the Planning Committee, then to the Scottish Executive, without any further cost - except your architect, of course.  I don't know how it works in England and elsewhere.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:12:49 pm »
 :) around here we have to get planning consent for buildings unless it is movable ie on wheels or skids or a non permanent building. they use areial photos to check the change of land ( and then the photograhers knock on our doors to sell photos of our houses and land).

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:32:02 pm »
We are having a real wind up with planning just now. We have 2 different categories on our land, firstly a plot with full planning permission for a house and then two 10 acre fields which surround the building plot.
On out agricultural land we have built a shed under permitted development rules but we had a load of hassle regarding how far away our shed is from the road. The planners wanted it close to the road.We exchanged several letters until the shed design was rubber stamped. We did get to the point as others suggested where we said 'ok what will you approve?'
It seems that sometimes its just about reducing the height by a few feet or moving the thing to the left. I have begun to think that the best idea is to approach with some totally outlandish unlikely design and when you compromise and suggest what you really want everyone wins.

kirsty

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:32:40 pm »
The photographer has the right idea then ....

My friend bought a derelict farm, and moved her family into a static caravan on the side of the house.  The council were complaining about the caravan, and produced pictures of it, and her family going in and out - she was totally unaware they had snapped her.  Those pics must have been taken from the air.  Anyway, she got to keep the caravan to live in :D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:35:36 pm »
Marigold, I think you are right.  Ask for something ridiculous, and they will give you a scaled down version, which was what you wanted anyway.

I thought the council liked things back from the road, not near it?  That seemed an issue with my plans, could it be seen from a road?  Well, yes, a single track country lane.  Not exactly a busy motorway.  And what does it matter anyway as to who driving past can see it.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:44:38 pm »

I thought the council liked things back from the road, not near it? 
Me too. but recently, I got the impression that round here the road issue is about the future, in as much as if a shed gets built, it opens the way for other types of planning permission later. One of our neighbours has just moved into a refurbished, rebuilt chicken shed (a big one) and then sold their traditional farmhouse.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS