Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Aid on the Smallholding!!!  (Read 9306 times)

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: First Aid on the Smallholding!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »
Better than the nato dressings are haemostatic dressings (celox/quick clot other brands are available these are just two that I have used).  They have developed ten fold over the past few years.  But the "Israeli dressings" are just as useful.

Some have mentioned a tourniquet, if this is something you wish to use, then make sure it is a combat style. Then you need to prep it so that it can be self administered.

Once we have moved to our new place, we will be looking at trying to get a public access AED fitted. We notice a lot of these on farms in Denmark last summer. Then a sign at the roadside showing which farms had one.

If you have never used an AED at the very least look on the internet at how to use them. Really really easy to use if you can access them. You can not beat real training but they are designed for anyone to use.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »
I don't chainsaw but the guys wear proper boots, trousers, helmet, gloves etc. Dan insists I wear hat, ear and eye protection if I'm using the strimmer or the saw thing in the barn.

What's an AED? Heard of IED but don't really want any  ::)

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 03:48:57 pm »

What's an AED? Heard of IED but don't really want any  ::)

AED (automated external defibrillator) for helping getting the old ticker started (in some circumstances). The public access ones have picture and voice instructions so anyone can use them. usually seen at stations and similar buildings. some communities are getting together to have them at village halls and churches.

The IED might help at scaring some people into needing an AED  lol

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 11:42:52 am »
How much would an AED cost?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »
 :wave:
AED's are about £1000 - £3000 each. 

All our doctors surgeries have them outside their buildings with a key pad.  999 give the number out when you ring up, so someone can go grab it!

It's a good idea if you are within 10 mins of the surgery, but, on average, only 1 in 4 heart attacks can be treated by the automated ones.  If they are usable though, the survival rate rockets!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 02:21:59 pm »
Eeeek!  I won't be getting three then.   Quicker to call an ambulance for us.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »
We experienced a situation I hadn't thought about on Thursday - we have very well stocked first aid kits, I keep my first aid cert up to date, attend refresher training and so on (and I did fill in a wee form thing to find oput about becoming a First Responder, but haven't heard anything back), but had not anticipated what would happen if I needed the first aid!  I cut my hand pretty badly, I was able to help myself to a certain extent, and could tell OH what I needed him to do, but he completely fell apart and was absolutely no use at all, other than wanting to take me to hospital, which wasn't really necessary.  Eventually I did manage to stick myself back together with glue and steristrips, helped by my three year old, but was very surprised as OH is always very brave if he hurts himself.  Think I might need to force him to go on a first aid course.

The no mobile signal is a big worry to me.  Fine at this time of year when we are both at home full time and so would notice if the other one didn't come back, but more of a problem if one or other of us is working away.

Carasine

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 09:03:28 pm »
That is a good point Mowhough. I've been on more First Aid courses than I can remember, but the rest of the family is probably pretty shaky on what to do. Whenever their is an incident I deal with it (even if it is me involved, which it often is!).
I have taught my kids the recovery position and basics like RICE for sprains etc but I think we ought to re visit some stuff.

One thing I would suggest is if you can try to go on an Outdoor Specific first aid course (BASP courses are good if you can get them but many Outdoor Activity providers run them). They are much more tailored to what to do in the event of being crushed by a tree, breaking your leg while crossing a stream etc. There will often be consideration given to the logistics of not being within shouting distance of a hospital too.
Mind you the longest I've had to wait for help while dealing with an incident was when I came across an accident involving a car and a motorcycle less than 10mins from a police station and they didn't even turn up for over 1.5hrs (the ambulance was only 70mins! :( )

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 08:38:05 pm »
just back from a 6 hour first aid course today, instead of a triangular bandage to keep arm in place we were told duct tape will do the job and we all registered so we could text the 999 number, a text can often get through if there isn't much signal, seemingly they will try and call your phone back but will text info too.
the poison bit was mentioned , swallowing and enhaling etc and the topic of vodka absorbed/enhales in the eyes was quite popular for a while by clubbers........really, why would you????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 09:58:01 am »
the topic of vodka absorbed/enhales in the eyes was quite popular for a while by clubbers........really, why would you? ???

Eh?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »
just back from a 6 hour first aid course today, instead of a triangular bandage to keep arm in place we were told duct tape will do the job and we all registered so we could text the 999 number, a text can often get through if there isn't much signal, seemingly they will try and call your phone back but will text info too.
the poison bit was mentioned , swallowing and enhaling etc and the topic of vodka absorbed/enhales in the eyes was quite popular for a while by clubbers........really, why would you????

Eww weird. Probably gets you drunk quicker?

how do you register to text 999? that would be really useful here as our signal is so dodgy.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »
On the topic of defibrillators in rural areas the following may be of interest.

http://www.sandpipertrust.org/

I realise we have strayed off thread a bit but perhaps knowing the location of the nearest kit is sensible.

The other thing you should have is your farm/house location as OS grid reference next to the phone/in phone memory. This helps the ambulance control centre.

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 09:16:40 pm »
to register, text the word register to 999, you will then get a message and you then reply YES, that's all it is.
Yes you get drunk quicker through your eyeballs apparently!! I take it I don't add my fizzy mixer ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS