Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long do worming tabs take to work?  (Read 21076 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
How long do worming tabs take to work?
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:24:18 am »
Havnt been regularly worming our inherited cat (she's about 2), still not sure if it's something that should be done routinely (I don't with any other animal cause of resistance probs etc)? Anyhoo, noticed white roundworms around her bum ( yuk) so promptly got a tab down her......  I've been getting family to be hyper aware hand washing  etc since then........, any idea why she would be clear again?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: How long do worming tabs take to work?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:07 am »
Spotting white worms around the cat are likely tapeworm segments.
Cats that are hunters are very likely to pick up worms from their prey.
Recommendations are to worm dogs and cats every 3 months, the roundworm eggs, even when poo is picked up by diligent owners can be left in the grass, and if picked up and ingested, particularly by children or immunocompromised people can cause blindness.
Most cats and dogs will not suffer from the worms, including tapeworms, but the spread to people is the concern.
I have three prolific hunters here, and was spotting tapeworm segments coming out 3 months to the day from the last worming last year, so I have changed to worming my cats every 2 months.
We do not seem to see the same problems with wormer resistance in cats and dogs yet as we do in farm animals, so the recommendations to protect children in particular, I firmly believe in.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:40 am »
Thanks I guess I will be fighting the cat on a regular basis then....  I thought roundworm,because they were small and looked round in cross section and were wriggling... The tapeworm segments I have seen before in sheep poo were miles bigger and flat?  Either way, I'll worm reg now thanks xx

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:53 am »
FIB, a tapeworm segment will look a bit like a wriggling grain of rice. HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 09:38:09 am »
FiB .... They freak me out!!!!!! Can't find the vomit piccie.  ::)

We took our cat on when we moved in. She had mainly looked after herself (owners often not around) and is a brill little hunter. This time of year she has worms constantly ... it's her best hunting season.  ::) The worms are thin and could be mistaken for a slightly thin piece of rice but wriggly. Always thought it was tapeworm but not really sure. Whatever, we have to worm her much more often than other cats we have owned. Vet said that not ideal but we could do her every 6 wks if needed. We have had to previous years but not so bad so far this year. She also has to wear a flea collar at this time of year. Vet says its rabbit fleas that attach to her ears leaving them all covered in scabs and missing fur.

Once we've given the tablet we haven't seen any more worms so guessing they work pretty quickly.

She's started her spring hobby of rabbits through the cat flap. Found a half eaten one stashed in the cupboard last week! Lovely.

She is a sweet little cat really.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:13:04 am by in the hills »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:31 am »
Lol. No rabits here, but everything else very familiar! Just googled pics of both and looks more like roundworm. It has made me feel quite bleugh too .... She had started to creep further and further into house ( when we first got here I was staunchly against house residence of any kind... But son has other ideas and recently she has been sneaking into his bed any time she can get away with it... At  11 I'm hoping he is old enough not to be too vulnerable, but needless to say she has been banned since we found out.......)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:27:49 am »
I wouldn't panic about your son catching any worms from the cat.  Toxocara cati roundworms vv rarely infect people unlike toxocara canis from dogs.  Even these though are not infectious for several weeks/ months after being passed. 
Toxoplasmosis from cats only occurs when they start hunting & isn't affected by worming. Again the cysts aren't immediately infective but need several days in this case to mature.
You can get spot on type wormers for cats if you value your arms.....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 06:07:16 am »
where do you source your wormers? we use wormers from the vet as the supermarket types are useless.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:49:54 am »
We don't use supermarket ones either, Shygirl.

We can get the brands sold by the vet from the medicinal section at the local agri. store. Not sure how much if any cheaper they are???? Someone told me that some pharmacy shops also sell them now. Think it was Lloyd's.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »
yes, our chemist sells wormers too.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:54:19 am »
I use Profender from the vets for my 3 now as supermarket ones were useless and I can't be doing with fighting tablets down 2 cat throats so the Profender as a spot on type is perfect.  It lasts about 3 months, but my lot are forever bringing in mice, voles, birds, bunnies etc so they've a pretty high reinfection rate.  I've not found anything else as effective or  I'd  buy from agri suppliers too, like I do the horse wormers.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS