Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newly acquired 8 acres, novice smallholder  (Read 3384 times)

ari

• Joined Mar 2014
Newly acquired 8 acres, novice smallholder
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »
I recently bought a property in Buckinghamshire which came with a flat, well drained 8 acre field. The land has clearly not been cultivated for a period of time, with grass up to knee level and half a dozen trees allowed to grow to 12 feet or so. I want to use the field in a sustainable way whilst ensuring we continue to have access to it for walking etc. My best idea to date is to have perhaps 15 or so sheep but I have no idea about looking after animals (we moved from Hackney!) so thought perhaps a grazing licence in favour of a local farmer might be the best option. If anyone had any advice or tips it would be much appreciated,

Ari

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: Newly acquired 8 acres, novice smallholder
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:49:41 pm »
Welcome.  Envious of a flat field.  I would prob let it grow on for hay now provided not too many weeds.  Then offer out for grazing after.  We have 4 1/2 acres of prime devon slope which we bought 4 years ago with little livestock experience.  First year we bought some just weaned lambs to bring on for freezer.  By second year we had ewes in lamb and have continued from there.  For us its  continual learning curve.  We love it with a passion which seems a basic essential when after the day jobs its all we do. Our knowledge grows thru  constant reading,  this forum which Is a godsend and the not to  be underestimated value of a friendly neighbouring proper farmer.  Whatever you do with the land hope you enjoy doing it

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:23 pm »
Welcome to the forums, there are plenty of experienced folk on here who will be able to give good advice.

Maybe have a search and a browse around the rest of the site too - like the Sheep articles - and you should find something useful. We all had to start somewhere and acknowledging you don't know about looking after animals is a very good start!

Dan

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:57:09 pm »
Hello & Welcome :wave:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »
 :wave: Hello! Renting out grazing first is a great way of learning it really helped us, plus you get an experienced eye looking over your land (they will soon tell you if you have ragwort or anything nasty, and if it needs to be topped first) I hope your trees have grown in acceptable places (so that you can still geta tractor in to cut and bale hay - because semi mature trees with under grazing is a boon and it would be a shame to get rid. Lots to learn and you will love it, enjoy  ;D

ari

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »
Thanks to all for such helpful and encouraging messages. it's much appreciated!

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »
Renting out grazing land to a neighbouring farmer is a great idea. It immediately gets you an ally and mentor. You'll learn a lot, and he or she will be much more supportive of you keeping livestock than he would be if you just filled your field with funny looking sheep (as a neighbour calls my Portlands) which you might have no idea how to care for. But ask around before you let it - you want to find someone with a good reputation as a stockman.
Have fun!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:37 pm »
 :wave: and welcome.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS