Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is the general feeling on GM and GM free feed for your milking goats?  (Read 3459 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
Would love to hear your comments.

What is the cost difference where you are?

Can you even get non GM free easily?

What is the most cost efficient non GM way to feed?

Does it even matter?
Thrift Bee

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
I am sure most people will be anti but I'm not anti gm... I don't think there will be much difference in the end product. The more worrying aspect of it all is pesticides and herbicides etc but to avoid that you'd need to go for organic feed and that's unfortunately rather too expensive for me!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
It certainly does matter and I would not knowingly feed GM.

GM soy for example is subject to so much Roundup that it can cause animals eating it to become ill. There is a recent Dutch study that confirms this http://ing.dk/artikel/aarhus-forskere-i-unik-advarsel-verdens-mest-solgte-sproejtemiddel-kan-goere-dyr-syge-167272[/size][/font]

Monsanto has done a very good job of convincing people that Glyphosate is safe whereas it is now becoming clear that this is not the case.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
Hiya Thrift Bee. I'm in Co Cavan, nd I've managed to find Allen & Page feed from a 'Horsey' crowd. Its expensive but I've seen it turnaround goats in not great condition.. I know its delivered in the south, I pay €16.50 for a sack. Don't know if that helps... I feel its best to give them the best I can, as I'm using the milk. Simple as that! ;))
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow

Monsanto has done a very good job of convincing people that Glyphosate is safe whereas it is now becoming clear that this is not the case.

I couldn't agree with you more. Its terrifying when you start to learn the way they operate. >:(

Hiya Thrift Bee. I'm in Co Cavan, nd I've managed to find Allen & Page feed from a 'Horsey' crowd. Its expensive but I've seen it turnaround goats in not great condition.. I know its delivered in the south, I pay €16.50 for a sack. Don't know if that helps... I feel its best to give them the best I can, as I'm using the milk. Simple as that! ;))

Thanks for that tattycat. It seems around €16 is the going rate. I was hoping someone would come up with an GM free alternative to concentrates, that didn't cost so much.  But your right. Its important to give them the best you can.  :)
Thrift Bee

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
Hiya. The Allen and Page feed IS GM free and endorsed by the Vegetarian Society. No nastys of any sort but that's why its hard to get as it has a much shorter shelf life..
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Mine are on Allen and Page and I wouldn't swap. They do so well on it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS