Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need a Helping hand  (Read 2708 times)

thommobhoy

• Joined Sep 2009
Need a Helping hand
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:44:17 am »
Hi there. I am new to the growing your own food. So new that i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i could get hands on experience in my local area of ayrshire?

i have always wanted to grow my own fruit and veg and keep livestock, but i have been a bit scared about having the responsibility. i really don't want to be the guy who set out with good intentions and failed.   :-[

so any help would be most grateful. Also i am a joiner to trade and at the tender age of 23 i am still fit ( ;D) to do hard work!

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Need a Helping hand
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:06:38 am »
Hi and welcome.  Could you ask at your local library for the contact details of local smallholding groups and start there?  Do you have a local farmers' market where you could make enquiries?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:08:37 am »
Scottish Smallholders are based on Ayrshire. I'm sure there will be folk who woudl LOVE to have a fit and healthy joiner to help out!

sandy

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »
Hi, we could do with a joiner living with us...always something to do here but we have no land as such, just 16chickens and 2 Ducks but our 300+ year old house needs lots of TLC

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:36:01 pm »
What a great offer.....
Anytime you would like a weekend away in Angus you'd be very welcome here. We've only got 11 hens and 4 ducks and we're juct establishing some raised beds for our veggie patches, but after a whole weekend of barrowing muck and aching all day today, I'd be so grateful for any help.
Our only guest accomodation though is an old static caravan without electricity so you would probably be better with a local smallholder.
kirsty

thommobhoy

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:33:58 pm »
thanks for the advice i was wondering if anybody new any contact details of Scottish smallholders, i have looked all over the internet but to no avail!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:34:50 pm »
Try www.smallholders.info - Central Scotland Smallholders Association is possibly the only one - Rosemary will know.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 03:28:46 pm »
Hello and welcome.

We just started having a go to see what happened.  Mayhap try some things considered easy to start with, toms, tatties, carrots and the like.

Also mayhap try small holding groups, allotment groups. Bound to be short one or two day courses you can do too.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on.
 :carrot: :apple: :pepper: :brocolli: :chili: :corn: :peas: :pear: :cucumber: :spud: :squash: :rasp:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »
I can't find it either - the address I had www.scottishsmallholders.org isn't working. It was Ayrshire based - maybe gone defunct.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:18:01 pm »
Got this by using yahoo and that address you gave Rosemary.  Perhaps they have changed to a .co.uk extension?

scottishsmallholders.co.uk
This domain name has just been registered.
Why is this page displayed?

Why does my domain's home page say "This domain has just been registered by a 1&1 Internet customer"?

You are seeing this page when you visit your domain (www.yourdomain.com) because you have not yet replaced the temporary web page which was created for you when you signed up for your 1&1 Internet domain or web hosting package. This page/file is called "index.html" and can be overwritten or replaced with a page you create using one of our site building tools or your own site building software depending on whether you purchased a 1&1 Internet domain name only package or a 1&1 web hosting package.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS