Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: May need to PTS. Kindest way please.  (Read 4306 times)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
May need to PTS. Kindest way please.
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »
Hi, need some advice please. My wonky chick (see other thread http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=42435.0) is still wonky and may need to be PTS. At the moment I am massaging her legs and feet to try and get her to straighten them but she was the last out and stuck in the egg in the wrong position and I don't think she will improve. I am helping her eat and drink but she is still shuffling on her heels and not able to get on her feet. I have her next to the others in a divided part of the brooder but she just isn't the chirpy busy chick she should be. Is there anything else I could try? These are our first chickens and upsetting though it is I want to do the right thing. I have never culled anything and don't think I could do the neck thing with confidence of making it instantaneous. Would freezing be a better way? I would be grateful for some advice please.

Helen

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: May need to PTS. Kindest way please.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:05 pm »
Waddy, not sure of this is same sort of thing, but I had one with splayed legs last year and splinting worked... Will try to find thread and post here ( the site I used also showed it for feet). If it is eating and drinking ok?....

You are here » Home » The Accidental Smallholder Forum » Livestock » Poultry & Waterfowl » Chick with splayed legs (more photos)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:42:03 pm by FiB »

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »
Legs are not splayed out they are forward facing. The chick won't straighten it's legs although can extend it a bit. Feet especially left one are slightly sidewards and the chick can't seem to put them flat on the ground with toes spread hence shuffling on heels (which get sore). I will try and post a picture but need to find the camera first.

H

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
Sorry, that didn't work, can't work out how to post link on I pad.... If you search forums for the splayed legs more pics bit, it will lead you to my post which has pics and a link to useful article in it. Good luck, fi

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:31:26 pm »
we have had chicks like this and you can but wait for them to die but its sad as they usually do after a few days.
I wouldn't put a chick in the freezer, that's a slow painful death in my opinion. I really hate dispatching chicks but it is very quick. it is possible to dislocate the necks but it is difficult not to lose their head, but its quick.
others have mentioned pliers to break their neck.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
I know it sounds silly but I took a two day old duckling with a wonky foot to the vet last year. They were great with her and I think it only cost £20, foot was sorted (they taped it into place) and all has been well ever since. I've also got two ducklings taped up to bring their legs together at the moment - they also had a lot of help out - but both are bouncing around quite nicely now so it might not be the same thing (previously they had their legs out behind them like some sort of bath toy). If you try and stand her up, what happens to her legs?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:50:26 pm »
I got the impression it was a chick that was slow to hatch and failing to thrive? not wanting to stand and not eating enough? often gets pecked by the others etc and isn't in control of where to sit under the heat lamp?
is this what you have Waddy?
splayed legs etc is different, we had great success with goslings splayed legs and string.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »
When wenhave dispatched chicks we have very quickly chopped their head off with our hand axe.  Feels aweful, but can't imagine anything quicker?

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »
Yes late to hatch (the previous ten are great) and legs seem slightly twisted and semi frozen bent. The chick isn't improving. I will PTS tonight.
 :gloomy: :gloomy: :gloomy:
Helen

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 07:10:23 pm »
 :hug: 

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »
So sorry  :hug:
Heather

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:49 pm »
It wasn't meant to be Waddy and after you've been keeping them for a few years you will find you have to deal with this sort of thing and not to expect all your livestock to live each year. Most people have something die each time.

It's always sad to see a little scrap of life deteriorate and it's human instinct to want to save it but sometimes it is in it's best interests to let it go. 

The pic I have for my ID is of a tiny gosling that had splayed legs, quite a common problem that elastoplast tied in a figure 8 around their little leggies helps sort it out in a couple of days, unfortunately the little one in the picture died too, it was just too weak from birth.

All the best Waddy :hug:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:12 am »
I always despatch young chicks by putting their necks on a blunt edge and pressing hard with a thumb to dislocate it.

Quick and no mess

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:51:47 am »
Thanks for the tips and support guys. We used FiB's method. Made us both very sad as the first time. However we do have ten healthy very busy chicks eating and pooing for all they're worth! I'll try and post a picture on the other thread if I can find the camera.

Helen

robbiegrant

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cupar. North East Fife
  • The Mighty Kroshka!
    • Exclusive Luxury Holiday Villa for Rent in Goa
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:19 am »
When wenhave dispatched chicks we have very quickly chopped their head off with our hand axe.  Feels aweful, but can't imagine anything quicker?

I agree... fast as it gets.

Putting the chick in the freezer would not be quick n painless....
Cupar weather http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=cupar
Goa weather http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/43192.html
Escape to paradise - http://www.vaastuvillagoa.com

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS