Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: berkshire pigs  (Read 3077 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
berkshire pigs
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »
ive been offered 2 free to good home by a lady who doesn't want them to go for meat 1 sow 1 boar both 18 months old the sow currently has 8 4 week old weaners with her I have the space for them and she is also willing to give me 2 pig arks with them....how old do they go away at? are they good outdoor pigs? ive read there a medium size pig with good fat covering

HappyHippy

Re: berkshire pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:51 pm »
Hiya  :wave:
First thing I'd say is, if they were deemed 'meat' pigs by the original breeder it's probably because they weren't good enough to be bred from and the fact that they're both the same age, I'd presume they are brother & sister  :thinking: You'd probably best to think about sending the boar off asap - this stops any further mating (and potential in-breeding problems in subsequent litters)
Berkies are nice pigs  :thumbsup: Alert, cheeky and inquisitive. They do fine outside and being dark haired, don't suffer sunburn the way the white pigs do (we had them through a hard Scottish winter without issues)
They usually go as 'small pork' around 5 or 6 months - typically somewhere around 60-70Kg. I think the Berkshire club website has a bit of feeding/weight info.
The meat was lovely, though ours were fat  :innocent: (fatter than our Kunekunes) so don't be tempted to overfeed  ;)
Berkshire Boy will be along soon no doubt - he'll be able to give you loads more help & advice. We only had 2 gilts, intended for breeding, but we never managed to get them in-pig  :-\ by then we'd grown kinda attached to them and kept them on longer than we should have  :innocent:
Good luck and keep us posted !
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:26:48 pm »
Karen I read it differently, that the present owner thought them too good to go for meat.

I agree with Karen that if they are related the boar will need to go and all the piglets will need to go for meat as Dad is presumably also uncle.
Are they registered, if they are sell the boar for breeding[if he is indeed related to sow]

Berkshires are excellent pigs and produce fantastic pork and sausages. They also make great bacon if kept on to 10 months plus. Normally they would go off at about 6 months weighing about 75 kilos, as Karen said they can go to fat if over fed but that is the same with all the rare breeds.

They are great characters, fantastic mothers and very hardy. One of mine had a litter outside in minus 18 and no losses.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:01 am »
Poorly explain by me owner ATM bought them as unrelated weaners with breeding idea's both are registered weaners birth notified she is given up her farm but can bare to send these 2 for meat the 6 month thing doesn't sound so bad. I've been too see them and there very friendly little things

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:08:10 am »
Love Berkshires.  Mine were less fatty than other breeds and definitely made the best tasting air dried hams.  Lucky you, I say!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »
If they are registered and not related bite her hand off. Wish I knew someone like her.  :roflanim:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:28:57 pm »
I got my hopes up for no reason she has given them too the neighbour who was more than willing to offer her pork year round......but I have got 2 free pig arks so not all too bad

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS