Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squash & courgette  (Read 2969 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Squash & courgette
« on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:03 pm »
I thought I might use a small Devon bank to grow squashes on and courgette at the bases, will rabbits/chickens eat either, neither or both ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Squash & courgette
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:10 pm »
A chicken wire fence round the bed will protect them I think my chickens would definitely investigate if they were given the chance... (but they aren't).

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:36:39 pm »
my free range hens never bothered with the courgettes, it was the onions they dug up all the time to get to the worms underneath.
I love courgettes  :yum: :yum:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:11:55 pm »
Hens and ducks love courgettes when they're small (the courgettes that is) and so do mice. I haven't noticed them being so keen on squashes for some reason.
I'm addicted to growing squashes   :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: even though we don't eat all that many.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »
My  :chook: :chook: absolutely decimated the courgettes and squashes last year - even full sized  :squash: >:( .  They have grown well on our Dorset  bank but need to be well protected from the hens at all times.  Young plants stand absolutely no chance.  The price of truly free range hens ::)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I had dug a 50 sq metre veg patch started planting yesterday and it's 60% full so I was just thinking of things that take up a lot of room and wondered if I could get away without digging and fencing, your replies mean dig & fence. digging is ok, raking is satisfying, I have posts just short of wire or netting.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:23 pm »
Doesn't need to be tall fencing (depending on the variety of chicken of course). I have my pumpkin/asparagus patch right in the middle of our poultry run. I've just put posts round it with chicken wire that's about 60cm high (I can step over it but the chickens and ducks can't). Actually having said chicken wire, I lie - last year I used chicken wire and it went baggy and the ducks broke in so then I replaced it with weld mesh which stays tight better and has kept them out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS