Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fencing for pigs in Woods - conkers, yew berries, beech nuts, acorns?  (Read 4257 times)

Stablechooks

• Joined Sep 2009
Hi All
we are considering getting a couple of tamworth or Berkshire weaners. We have a 20mx40m section in mature woods on our land and are wondering if electric tape,wire on plastic posts would be sufficient to keep them contained. Setting up a full permanent fence would be a pain! Although possible a couple of corner posts would help with tape tension?

Is it worth splitting the section into two subsections ?

Also am thinking that beech nuts, conkers and acorns are all fine for pigs - or will they overdose on them?  We are not planning on getting the pigs until February so the squirrels and pigeons will have had most!

What about Yew berries are they poisonous to all animals including pigs?

Thanks
Stablechooks
Learning... Always Learning!

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
I'm not sure about berkshires but I dont think you would have a cat in hells chance of keeping tamworths in for long behind a tape! There well known for being vey good at escaping!

In terms of what is in the woodland I wouldnt worry about most thing but I definatley would not put the Pigs any where near the yew tree. I'm not sure if the y berries are toxic, the stems,leafs and roots contain high levels of toxins which when ingested will attack all of any animals internal organs leaving them coated in a thick tar  - resulting in a very quick sudden death, and there is no treatment once eaten!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Agree with everything BB has said.  I would go for lop eared pigs, GOS, LB or lops.  Avoid anything with even a percentage of tamworth (I do love tamworths amazing characters).  If buying in young stock I might even go for three strands of electric fencing.  If its possible to split the area allowing one side to rest that would be good too.  Good luck and enjoy. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
In my experience, Tamworths will respect mains wired tape if they are trained to it as weaners. I hold mine and give them 2 or 3 jolts of the wire at about 8 weeks of age.
Mine avoid it like the plague, although I did have a gilt who when the power was low decided to go walkabout. I walk the wire ever day or so now and clear anything that might be interfering with the pulse...no problems since. The Tamworths also have wonderful playful personalities...so please don't be put off them.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Tamworths are wonderful pigs, just not for the old and lame like me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS