Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: deaf lamb ?  (Read 3560 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
deaf lamb ?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:10:03 am »
Morning all. We had a fairly tricky lambing yesterday with lamb wrongly presented.  Got it sorted and the second one popped out fine.  Seemed to have got over the worst and both latched on. This morning however its clear that the first born one is not quite oriented out in  the paddock.  After much hand clapping and arm waving we're thinking he may be deaf.  Doesn't appear to hear mums calls and just stands bleating.  Not our way to cull for the sake of it but beyond him being higher maintenance any welfare issues we should consider

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: deaf lamb ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:17:22 am »
Maybe brain damage, just a thought. Keep making sure its getting fed if in doubt bottle feed. Other experts here will keep you right.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:22:28 am »
Is he holding his head up (stargazing)?  Could be Daft Lamb Disease, if so, and outlook poor.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:06 am »
Currently seems a bit more with it and just caught him doing star jumps with his sprightlier brother.  It was a horrible birth with head fully out and no sign of feet.  We lurched from fears for him to assuming he was lost and trying to make sure we saved her. Didnt expect he would mske it and it was some hours before we were sure he'd even get started in life.  Hishead had swelled a little but looks normal now.  I guess just keep going and see what he does next.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
Lack of oxygen perhaps from being stuck with just head out for a bit - especially as his head was enlarged.  Once this has gone down hopefully he will be fine.  Poor little chap had a traumatic birth so will take a few days for him to recover.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:47:24 am »
No wisdom to offer, just hats off admiration for the shepherding assistance  :D :) .  We had a pet lamb last year that I was convinced was deaf for the first week..... He only used to respond to my approach with a bottle when he saw me.....  But wether he was or wasn't he did fine.  Hopefully star jumping with twin is good sign.... :fc:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:05:21 pm »
We have the odd head out and nowt else scenario, or the superman as Baz calls another, he tends to be the helper to pull I tend to be the one at the head calming the ewe, yes, we have had the odd fat heads after such difficult births but they always come right, and the swelling goes down over a few days.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS