Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gogi Berries  (Read 10441 times)

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
Gogi Berries
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »
Anyone else planted Gogi bushes. I planted two last spring. They arrived during the winter like a couple of wee twigs. I didn't think they'd survive and i heeled them into a bed over winter. Planted them in their permanent place in spring. Seem to remember that i read that you only prune them in spring. After a month they then started to grow unbelievably. They've now both like a couple of triffids. Large, long tendril like growths that make them too big for the bed they're in.

So... should i prune them and when?
       is there a problem with moving them?
       How should i prune them, anything to avoid or juts go for it?

Any info gratefully received.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Gogi Berries
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:00:09 pm »
No idea.  I bought a packet of dried goji berries at a food store, soaked them took the seeds out and dried them off, handed them out at a CSSA meeting.  I have two little plants left, but still in pots under the eaves at the back door - anyone else tried them? 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:05:52 pm »
mine outdoors have died. will try growing them from seed next!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28:18 pm »
I might still have some left - will post them to you if you'd like, Kerstin?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:41:57 pm »
Thanks, Annie, I've got some berries in the store cupboard!  :&>

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »
I'll attempt to post photos. They're massive.

fyi.. i tried an experimental compost heap. Stuck all the weeds in a wheelie bin with no holes in it. Left them for two years so that there was a complete sludge at the bottom. Dug this into our clay soil along with spent mushy compost (from Sliverbirch Charity place in Kirkintilloch).
Worked too well i think. Hopefully someone will have some advice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:03:47 pm »
Brilliant idea - must get another wheeelie bin fromt eh Council.  I believe you're allowed one extra?  Or is that compost bins?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »
I was trying similar in the spring by steeping the weeds in water until it stinks, used it as liquid feed and the sludge went on the compost heap. For my size garden I couldn't find enough containers though, so ended up burning way too much stuff, I hate it!  We still don't get a brown bin, because we're rural (logic??) :&>

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:22 pm »
If i can obtain some wheelie bins i'll let you know.

The other idea is to go to b and q and they usually have water butts that are damaged. I got one for a fiver i think, it may have been even cheaper than that.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »
You've all inspired me. I bought some Goji berry seeds on ebay and they were great till i went on holiday and forgot to tell my sister to water them and they died
I'll try your way Annie.
I wonder if Goji berries are like rasps and grow on first year growth - hope someone knows
kirsty

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:07:22 am »
takes a couple of years to get fruit. Mine have griown likes rasps though. I was beginning to think that they're not Gogis.

I've pruned a few of the long shoots and attempted to plant these up. If succesful there will be free plants available.

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:40:57 pm »
you can treat gogi berry bushes  [lycium] as a hedge or windbreak apparantly plant 2m apart  ht is 2m [6ft] they give up to 1kg of fruit per bush extremely drought tolerant hardy to -15c tolerate all soils .plants require little pruning but heavy pruning will keep the bush looking nice and boost berry production.cut hedges hard in spring trim in summer
moving them shouldnt be a problem as long as ground isnt frozen,add plenty organic matter.well rotted of course,and keep watered if nessc.do before growth starts if poss,,might set back berries a bit though but should be ok
plants flower from late spring to summer followed by berries continuing till first frost.

i also have recipes if anyone wants them.  :yum:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:46:22 pm by scattybiker1972 »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:16 pm »
I bought a packet of dried goji berries from tesco - rehydrated them, dried them off, and planted them, also handed them out to fellow members of CSSA - mine are growing I think some of the others are too.  Didn't know they were frost hardy though.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »
Thanks for reminding me, must get onto that now as there's nothing else happening in the growing field !  :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »
i bought 3 last year, had them in pots in the greenhouse for a month or 2 then planted out in June

they seemed to do OK for a while, but then nothing. so, we'll see what happens in the spring - hopefully they'll spring back to life and i'll get some fruit this year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS