Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training  (Read 11779 times)

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Training
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:22:55 pm »
Ok,so I've got a new puppy that needs training up. It's the son of my other dog who is trained to the standard I need. Eddy is now 9 weeks old,already sits for his dinner and occasionally on command,follows me everywhere and has good recall (considering his age) is used to wearing his collar too.
 I tried putting him on the lead for 5 minutes,just to get him used to it,but he turned into Buckaroo and whined like a drunk girl at a party. I wasn't pulling or trying to guide him anywhere,just letting him go where he wanted to go and following. I've never had this with a dog before and I don't want to force it with him and have to deal with the repercussions later. Surrrrrrrrgestions on a postcard please!!!!!!............ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »
Is it a long lead?
Try him on a short, light weight lead and let him trail it round behind him, without you holding it or anything.
When he loses interest in it, try a longer one if you need to, and gently hold the end. Let him see your other dog (s) with theirs on.  Lots of quiet praise and distraction if he needs it. 
Are you training him for herding? retrieving?
Little Blue

welshboy

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:39:52 pm »
I know it might sound cruel but just tie him up and watch him - he will soon learn it is useless pulling and give in.
It will be easier to do now than later.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:13:27 pm »
hi mrRee
was he in familiar surroundings when you tried the lead if so try him in another area just till he gets used to it.
we had one years ago like this and she changed totally when we took her away from home
kn

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:34:05 pm »
I'm just not going to get into this one - they all learn to walk on a lead eventually no matter what you do.  But the more it's on a lead the more it'll get used to it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lynda

• Joined Sep 2009
  • South Ferriby, North Lincs
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
The easiest way is to pair the lead with something the pup really wants in order to build a good association with it. So for example prepare his food, clip on lead and put food on the floor. Clip on lead, prepare food, give food. Clip on lead walk a few paces, prepare food, give food. Couple of meals and he'll be delighted to have his lead on.

Lynda

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:41:50 pm »
That works for other commands too. 
COME
Start preparing food, when ready pup is waiting beside you,  move very quickly away from him, say 'pup come' put food down, pup leanrs to come for food.

SIT
Food in bowl, hold over pups head, pup sits, you say 'sit' , pup learns sit means food. 

eventually
STAY

Pup is sitting (from previous learning), Say Stay,  put bowl down say come (from previosu learning), pup learns stay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bedrock

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 01:23:38 am »
The method I use is to make the experience very exiting. Put the dog on the lead and hold it loosely. Get the pups toy and then play with the dog, run around in circles and have a little game of tug off war. Once the pup is more confident on the lead start walking with it a little bit take the toy with you and leave it have a play every now and then. the dog will eventually get the just off it.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:21:23 am »
Thought you'd like to see this video about Minx, a Brittany bred by a friend of mine and donated to the Exeter Police Force Search & Rescue as a pup..  She has been trained to find people and stay with them till help comes.  She recently found an old gentleman who had been thrown from his horse down a gully, the horse headed for home so the alarm was raised and Minx and Graham were called out.  You'll see an English Springer in action finding the reporter
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8279915.stm

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00:27 pm »
Great to see dogs with a job.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:15:00 am »
I have bought several good books on Training Dogs...

Now all I have to do is train the bu99ers to READ!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »
One of the best books I have ever read is Think Dog well worth a read. ;D

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 12:02:56 pm »
Thank for all the suggestions. He's now walking on the lead for between 5 and 15 minutes a day,taking lots of encouragement and treats and following his mum's lead (pardon the pun)............ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »
He's so cute. I see he hasn't perfected sitting on the step yet.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 09:22:00 pm »
Aww, he's gorgeous!  Needs to grow into his feet yet...
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS