Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching egg poly boxes  (Read 4825 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Hatching egg poly boxes
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:21 am »
I've been sending out eggs for the last few weeks in standard egg boxes with some 'ecoflo' which is like poly chips but softer in them to stop the eggs moving. Then I put this in a larger, double walled cardboard box surrounded by eco flo. I've had a few breakages and people have suggested I use poly boxes. I don't like them much as I think they transfer the shock more directly to the egg but I guess I have to do something. Anyone know a good cheap source for these?

The other alternative I came up with is to wrap each egg in bubble wrap and nest them in poly chips or eco flo in a strong box. I've received eggs like that before.

Any comments?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Hatching egg poly boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:17 am »
the best postal success rate (wrt hatching) that I've received was bubble wrapped eggs, in egg boxes, in polystyrene chip in a cardboard box.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:31 am »
I've posted hundreds of eggs in the purpose made poly boxes. Never had any breakages. Used to get them from whoever was the cheapest at the time on ebay.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:19 am »
You could wrap the polyboxes in bubblewrap.

H

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:56:49 pm »
If you're selling hatching eggs there's a limit to what you can realistically charge for packaging. Well taped poly boxes do the job cost effectively.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the comments. I put 23 eggs in the incy a couple weeks back. 4 lots of 6 from different breeders. All in poly boxes. 1 was cracked on opening and I've discarded 4 empties on lockdown so 19 out of 24 (will see on Friday if any are alive!) fertile is pretty good for post eggs. It's making me think that I need to use the poly boxes. I did think of wrapping the poly box in bubble but thought this might make a tempting football for RM staff.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 05:29:12 pm »
My life would be so much easier if I could get my head around sending hatching eggs out in polyboxes.

It takes about 20 minutes to pack a dozen eggs using my method, mainly because I value the customers business and realise that packing my eggs to withstand the knocks they get in transit may help towards a better hatch.

Sending out in polyboxes works out about £3.00 less than doing a proper job, but people seemed to be prepared to risk it. :eyelashes:

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:08:15 pm »
I've received eggs in polyboxes without a problem and just sent my first lot out (to a TASer) which arrived fine the next day. I got them from eBay and I think they worked out at about 75p for each box including the postage I paid to get it here. So including a bit of fragile and plain tape and I reckon the total cost is 85pish. I was going to use Hermes which would cost £4.10 postage so I was going to charge £5 P&P but actually ended up posting them Royal Mail first class the other day which was £3 and they arrived the next day in perfect condition so I'm converted! I reckon polyboxes are pretty sturdy - not convinced they're not a 'proper job'.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:15:59 am »
I just had a look on ebay and some sellers are charging £7.95 for 6 eggs, standard delivery.

So box is 85p and delivery £3 and it must be fuel cost or time makes up he rest
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
I received my eggs from HesterF in poly box no breakages at all and as she said, next day delivery. One happy customer.  :excited:
Heather

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »
I have always found that eggs sent in polyboxes have a lower sucess rate, for whatever reason and consequently prefer to buy from sellers who don't use them.  I suspect they somehow "suffocate" the egg, so if I were to do it myself, I think I'd find ones with extra large holes and wrap them with something breathable to stop rattling around rather tha a tight fit.  Alternatively it could be they get more jarred, in which case extra padding would also help.

But doing it that way, there isn't much point in the polyboxes in the first place, so I stick to more traditional methods!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:58 pm »
I agree. Aside from the current hatch who are tweeting away tonight, we've had poor luck with eggs delivered in poly boxes. It seems logical to me that there is little to absorb any direct shock through to the egg, poly or not.

I'm thinking the answer may be a poly box placed in a larger box with lots of loose fill type stuff. I suspect my breakages are down to eggs hitting each other as they are in a standard box.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »
Well it sounds like a tough call - with normal egg boxes you risk breakages, with polyboxes some less obvious risk. I'd rather have unbroken eggs (which will then contaminate the other eggs in the same box) but then I've had good fertility rates from posted eggs in poly boxes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS