Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mutton  (Read 3796 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Mutton
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:16 am »
Following on from a sheep thread, to keep or send for mutton, those of you who cull, what do you do with your mutton.
I know mutton curry is good but there is surely only so much curry you can eat.

I have a 2011 born ewe who has always been small and is also the least friendly of my small flock. If I want to keep one of her lambs then she has to go.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mutton
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:10 am »
She's barely old enough to be called mutton - more like overgrown hogget  :D  At that age, as long as she's not too fat, her meat will not be tough at all. She could be cooked by a long slow roasting in a covered roaster tin, then served like any other joint once the meat's falling off the bone.  Even chops should be fine, and if they were a bit tougher than you like then do them in a casserole with herby gravy.
The only real mutton I have used was a handful of ancients (at least 10 yo) and I had them minced and I made them into very tasty burger shaped things with strong flavours added such as chilli, herbs, N African spices, lots of black pepper.  We don't use these as actual burgers in a bun, but grill them then serve with a variety of sauces - great for a quick meal.
There's also sausages which come out a bit harder than pork, but made with those same spices are delicious.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:46 am »
There's a good thread from way back with recipes from several of us here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:17:46 am »
Thankyou Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 12:00:32 pm »
Pies, pies and more pies!  (I dice the shoulders etc myself so I can control the fat content)
Or slow roasted joints on the bone (even the loin). (again slow roasting so that more of the fat renders out)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:01:55 pm »

But lots of us don't eat pies, delicious though they are.  You might drain out most of the fat from the meat, but the pastry will still be full of lots and lots of FAT and CALORIES  :P   Shepherds pie now, made with potatoes would be good  :yum:.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS