Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Depressed Chicken  (Read 4401 times)

suzanne

• Joined Sep 2009
Depressed Chicken
« on: September 27, 2009, 12:57:20 pm »
Hi,

I have 1 of my 8 hens acting strangely.  Everything looks ok, eys bright, feathers neat & tidy, come a nice bright red but she just seems depressed.  She pecks at the air as if she can't see food but comes running toward me when I go in the run.  This isn't a sign of love, it's because I'm hand feeding her!

Has anyone got any idea what we can do for her?

Suzanne

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Depressed Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:11 pm »

I'm not quite sure how you've determined that your hen 'seems depressed' - is she separating herself from the other hens? Has she stopped eating (except for the hand feeding)? How long have you had her/them and has anything changed recently for example the loss or introduction of new hens, illness, etc? I'm assuming you haven't changed their food recently?

Sorry about all the questions!! I'm just trying to establish if anything has happened that could be causing her to be bullied or if she may be unwell?

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »
I'm a novice to all this but have you checked her crop?
If this has become impacted she may peck at the air in an attempt to get it moving again? THIS IS JUST A THOUGHT!!!!
My neighbour suggests maggots from an angling shop. Some of them get through whole and then they start to eat the crop contents freeing it off naturally (and cheaply) (pun not intended). Also if it's not this, your hen has had a tasty treat?!?!?

Like I say, no expert but this might help.

Best of luck  :hshoe:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:03:08 pm »
Has she eaten a piece of long grass or something, and its stuck down her throat - my hens do tend to be greedy and gulp things down without a second though as to the consequences.

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »
 I've read long grass can cause an impacted crop. But it might just be tickling the back of her throat?!?!?!?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS