Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with abscess on lip  (Read 1932 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Lamb with abscess on lip
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:40:47 am »
I've got a 3wk tame lamb with an abscess on his upper lip. I'm confident it's not orf having treated lambs with that last year. He was a bit off colour a couple of days ago so he has had pen&strep every day since but the abscess has come up overnight. He is still drinking but looking a bit lacking energy. It hasn't burst yet, should I leave it and hope the antibiotics start to reduce it (he's just had another jab this morning) or should I lance it?

smallflockshearing

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Re: Lamb with abscess on lip
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:53:17 am »
I'd leave it if she's drinking - you risk introducing more infection. Let the AB work it's way. If it doesn't clear up within a few days you might have to reconsider the orf idea...
Carefully shearing small flocks throughout the South-West.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lamb with abscess on lip
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:29:30 am »
As I said I'm sure it's not orf, he has no scabs or warts and where the abscess is is smooth with no lesions scabs or warts. If it's not cleared after the weekend I'll give the vet a ring. I've got some high energy drenches here and loads of antibiotics just unsure whether to flush or not. If it bursts I'll flush I think but will leave alone till then. Thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS