Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep breeding in France  (Read 2111 times)

footprint1

• Joined Mar 2014
sheep breeding in France
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
Hi, my husband and I have a few acres in the Pyrenees Orientales. We have kept half a dozen Cameroun sheep for about 3 years and recently bought a ram. Now being in the situation where we need to sell surplus lambs, we have realised that we are not allowed to breed and sell sheep without being registered as farmers. We are in our 60s and would not want the hassle of the paperwork, but I believe we would not be able to register as we would not meet the criteria of a certain percentage of our income being derived from farming. We would expect to receive only a few hundred euros annually for the sale of any lambs and from this virtually no profit. In addition there are the cotisations (fees) that come along with registration regardless of level of profit. We believe these to be 3500 euros annually.
We are more interested in breeding good stock as a hobby, for the lawnmowing capabilities of the sheep and the occasional leg of lamb. Does anyone out there know of any French rules which would allow the hobbyist breeder to sell a few sheep a year without being an official farmer? Many thanks for any information

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: sheep breeding in France
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:11:00 pm »
Are your sheep tagged? Do you have a numéro de cheptel? Have you been in touch with your departmental EDE?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS