Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where to start with worming etc  (Read 2825 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Where to start with worming etc
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »
Hi, I've just taken possession of 3 Zwartable ewe lambs-they are about 7 months old and are to be kept initially as pets on an acre field and possibly some breeding if put to the ram in 12 months time. I bought them out of the fram week paper from a lady who was big into pure bred sheep goats. When I went to collect them she wasn't there- she had gone into labour!!!(Tuesday past) anyway I got the lambs home. They seem very content if not a little wary of me but i bought some feed and am making progress with them coming up to me and feeding from the bucket.  As I dont know their history of worming and any issues they might have had can anyone advise me on what I should do with regards to worming etc.. Should I not worm them now and know where I stand with my regime of looking after them Any help would be much appreciated.   

Re: Where to start with worming etc
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:37:31 pm »
Hi,

Before you put them out to pasture WORM THEM! if you dont know their history - even if you have been told that they have been wormed.

The last thing you want is to get worms on the pasture.

Also try to strip graze them if you can - to give areas chance to rest.

If you are organic use Verme X, if not use something like panacur as an oral drench or to be totally sure use something like noramectin injections.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Gareth (SfS)
www.suppliesforsmallholders,co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:08:50 pm »
Urm....I hate to be contantious but actually you are allowed to worm your sheep if organic.....
Its just the choice of wormer that is limited and the use has to be strictly conrolled!

Best to get a dung sample tested, and ask previous owner for history.....do not just use wormer 'in case' as this sort of use has been known to cause resistance!!!

Also want to point out that noromectin is not effective against any stage of fluke and is a bit of an overkill being used in a just in case senario! Also as its withdrawl is nearly 7 weeks I would personally not use it for any lambs!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:19:09 pm »
Thanks for that folks.

I might try the dung sample route first- thats a job for the vet I assume?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS