Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stock housing  (Read 9615 times)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Stock housing
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »
Annie,

Alex and I are near at hand, if you need help. Only thing is Alex isn't too DIY minded, so not sure how much use we will be. My brothers in law are both better at that kind of thing, but are both busy with work and children. Would it maybe be an idea to knock out or cut out a section of wall and fit say a metal grid in the gap which would let water drain out? I don't know if that would be easier to do than drill though the wall at below ground level.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:24 am »
Thanks, Beth, much appreciated.  The wall has been very well constructed in staggered layers, and to be honest I did think of removing all or part of it, but it would be a huge job to do and then the end would need to be evened off.  I think the best solution is to dig down about 8 or 9 inches and bore holes through the wall.  My friend's brother-in-law was round today and he says he may be able to do this but he is in hospital for the next few days so it will have to wait unless I can get someone else to do it.  I don't think I'll be going far from now on as Belle is now in the house - pups expected any day from now till around Guy Fawkes.  So if you have time for a trip over here just call me (and bring some milk with you if you do ;) ;D )  If you could see it you might have some ideas.

Julie, the duck house is 6 feet by 4 feet and just sits on the ground.  It did have a wooden base when I moved here but it has long since rotted away.  The fencing is attached to either end of it by long nails, so we'd need to remove the fence to put in a new floor.  The pallet is a fairly open one which is why everything just drops down into the stinking mud below around the boards that I put in for them to sit on.  But it just gets worse and worse because it can't get cleaned out.  I've put in loads of hay and straw to try to soak it up but I can only do that for so long.  It's worrying me in case the birds could develop foot-rot (trenchfoot maybe  ::)  And the smell is awful!  If I could even get the duck run set up that would help, I could move the ducks and close down the duck shed so the hens would all have to go into the hen shed.  I have 6 metal grid panels, 8 of 2 x 2 fence posts, a nice clean little dog shed, and a great dane sized dog cage ready for them along with some heavy duty sheep fencing.  Just need some brute force.  And a little bit of dry weather!

If nothing else I've got it all off my chest!  Thanks for letting me rant guys!
HAve attached a diagram to let you see what I mean
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:24:50 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 05:31:13 pm »
Moregin - your grandad was very wise :)

Thanks everyone for your replies, we have found a local supplier/carpenter so will probably get one made to specs. Should hopefully move in to this property in the next couple of weeks so we can put all these plans into action!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 10:31:07 pm »
oooh! bet you're dead excited..........
Little Blue

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »
Moving in nexr Friday!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 09:45:19 pm »
Hi, there is a really good company down Frome direction which sells field shelters for a ridiculously cheap price.  I got a 12' square and 12' x 18' for under £1000 total.  They are a two man job to assemble but if you use the bolts supplied they can be moved and my big horse uses the side as a bum scratcher and hasn't managed to knock down although we have since strengthened inner edges just in case!

... Just found details - Unit 3 Manor Road, Marston Trading Est, Frome BA11 4EN, tel 01373 461444 / 07970 854488.

I know a couple of other people using them and they are good value for money.  Sometimes they will deliver

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:52 am »
Thank you!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 09:32:25 pm »
Hi, if you are planning on keeping sheep, goats etc you will need a CPH or holding number. That then allows you to apply for agricultural notification instead of a full planning application. You would need it for any agricultural building that is NOT moveable (and has a concrete base for example). I would plan my shed(s) and then talk to the planning department, especially if you plan to put down concrete floors (much better for goats etc if your soil is anywhere near clay...).

We have done it for our goathouse (10 x 24 feet) and hayshed (same size), as well as for polytunnel. No problem, except it was bit longwinded and I am sure they thought we were planning to build a horse stable (would need full PP) by the back door.... But it protects you from nosy neighbours etc etc and we actually have goats (and sheep) living in it!

Depends a bit on the size of sheds you are planning though...

Anke

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS