Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wheezing pig  (Read 3776 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Wheezing pig
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:01:02 pm »
I have a GOS 8week old weener only picked him up sat this morning i noticed he was wheezing sounded like he had a crackling on his chest but he seemed fine and was running around like a made thing so I decided just to keep a eye on it. However this afternoon he is off his food and looking A little lethargic. Any ideas what It might be? I'm going to give him to this time tomorrow if no change I will contact the vet im thinking lung worm or i might be my wife put hay in the ark by mistake?
Thank you for all your replies.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:16:59 pm by Cjnewton82 »

HappyHippy

Re: Wheezing pig
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:12 pm »
Was he wormed before he left the breeder ? If so, I wouldn't have thought Lungworm  :-\

Has he got a temperature ?
New hay/straw might make him a bit snuffly/wheezy but shouldn't put him off his food.
Does the arc he's in have plenty of ventilation ?
My first thought is pneumonia - check his temp and get the vet/shot of antibiotics asap  :thumbsup:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:35:25 pm »
Agree with Karen sound possibly pneumonia you will need to get antibiotics in him quick, at that age it doesn't take much to kill them.  :fc:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:43 am »
Iv had this problem before and it does sound like pnuemonia. A couple doses of penacillin (i have used pen and trep before) and he/she should soon turn around.

Is it wretching as well? like its trying to be sick?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 03:59:46 pm »
The stress of a journey and/or weaning can push piglets into pneumonia very quickly.  We used to run a finishing unit and only lost two piglets out of the hundreds we finished, but both due to pneumonia that developed within a couple of days of arrival.  I suggest you speak to your vet straight away.

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:19 pm »
Well done guys you were right spoke to the vet my pig had pneumonia from the stress of the move to the new heard move from  living indoors to living outdoors etc.
 Two jabs later he is absolutely fine thank you very much for all your help.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 05:48:41 pm »
That's good news glad he's OK.  :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »
Glad to hear he's much improved   :thumbsup:
Well done for acting so quickly and getting him sorted. Oh and remember to keep a note of what he got, how much and the batch number & expiry date - keeps you right with the AHO if they come to check your paperwork  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS