Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: derelict tractor  (Read 4281 times)

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
derelict tractor
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:01 pm »
Having now managed to strim the growth that swamped Damien, the old Nuffield tractor with a David brown front end loader and backhoe. We are in a position to decide whether to finish replacing the clutch that was being done when it was abandoned 6 years ago, and then get it into a usable condition. Or find someone who wants to take it off our hands.
The main problem is that everything was lowered and without a clutch we can't raise the arms to move it. I know we can connect the hydraulic take off from another tractor to lift the buckets. Is it also possible to get a separate hydraulic pump that will do the job as our other tractor doesn't have an external plug for hydraulics.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: derelict tractor
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:29 pm »
you may be able to hire a portable hydraulic 'power pack' though I don't know what connections it will have, or I think there are pto pumps (some backhoe attachments use these).

failing that could you cobble something up using a power-steering pump - these are generally lower pressure than tractor hydraulics, but should be able to lift the buckets off the ground.

though it may be cheaper to borrow a tractor with external hydraulic supply from a neighbour.

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:11:49 am »
Borrowing a neighbours is probably the way we'll go. There's also the possibility of being left outside will have siezed up a few things. Thanks   :)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:07:59 pm »
I am always on the look out for a DB back hoe digger. Is it brown or a red & white? Now I have plenty to do with my existing projects but if the price is right I may consider taking the whole lump off your hands. Which model of Nuffield is it? :thinking:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Mad Scientist

• Joined Sep 2013
  • south devon
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »
Spoke to the father in law who actually owns it and managed to scrape enough crud of the id plate to confirm it's a universal dm4, and the back hoe is an add1 type in brown. It also already has the new clutch in place and just needs to be reassembled. He wants to see if we can get it started before thinking about getting rid of it.

Julestools

• Joined Mar 2013
  • In my shed
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »
Ah..... the joys of fitting Nuffield/Leyland clutches..... I served my time working on these beasts.... the only tractors I worked on that didn't need to be split to fit a clutch.... Have fun mate :-)

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:25:24 am »
David brown loader sometimes only have power UP rams, so you will be able to lift them up without much trouble and just prop it up with the safety brackets that should be fitted to the loader brackets. and depending on how far you have to travel, you should be able to drag the rear arms without to much damage as long as you can go forward.
  If the tractor is still complete you can get enough pressure by having it in top gear when you pull it (like trying to bump start it) and that should create enough pressure to raise the arms if everything is working.
 I have a david brown 1290 that we had to do that with.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:27:22 am by YoungRasher »

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:32 am »
By coincidence I've found on Youtube a short video on how to raise the linkage arms on a Fergie TE20, without the engine running, by waggling the PTO shaft back and forth using a spanner - it's by 'ploughmyfield' and titled 'Raise an Implement' - might be worth a search for it and see if the same technique would apply to your tractor. Must admit I haven't tried it yet on my Fergie but I've filed it away for future reference, just in case.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS