Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching under broody  (Read 1911 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Hatching under broody
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »
our Pekin is sitting on eggs, it will be day 21 on Friday (or saturday?!)  we have chick crumb, little drinkers etc ...anything else I need to be prepared for?
She is currently in a broody coop where she can see and hear her flock around her but the others kept laying eggs in boxes nearby and she was nicking them all, so this way we can keep her to 4  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Hatching under broody
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:45:05 pm »
Just give her the space and privacy she needs to raise her chicks. We confine ours to a broody coop and run for the first while and give them crumbs and water. The hen will eat crumbs happily for a while.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »
Thank you Stereo  :thumbsup:  daft question alert...there is a ramp up to the nest box and down to the food/water area (ie the run) how soon will the chicks fathom how to use this or do I need to make it wider so they don't fall off and get hurt? its about 9" wide.
At what sort of age would you let them out and about with the cockerel and other few hens?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »
the chicks won't be out much, if at all for the first couple of days. they'll soon get the hang of the ramp (or are they bantams?). I give mine some wheat/pellets in a cage feeder that the chicks can't reach.

I don't put anything out with the existing flock until they are about ready to lay/in lay. At 6/7 weeks I tend to separate mum from chicks (but I am usually later in the year and want mum to recover and moult) and keep the growers separate until they are ready to get layers pellets.

have fun, watching mum and chicks is fab :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:31:29 pm »
Thank you Lord Flynn

The mother is a bantam, one egg is hers other 3 are from a cross breed of unknown parentage (she's medium sized, yellow coloured and quite pretty!)  so the bantie will be smallest (think that one is the only viable one anyway from candling)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS