Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: problem sheep and lambs  (Read 3348 times)

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
problem sheep and lambs
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »
don't know if anyone as any theories on this problem, so far lambings going well, averaging about 190% and having some cracking lambs.
but heres the problem got a fair few sheilings this year and the main set we bought have been producing fit and healthy lambs, a little on the big side if anything.
3 other sheilings which are in good condition just havn't produced the quality. 1st 2 produced a good lamb and 2 tiny ones(1 which died)  the last 1 of these to lamb produced 2 really small lambs that looked like they'd been born a week or so early. 24 hrs now and all though they put weight on they can only feed by the tube. They don't seem right mentally.

So question is why am I getting problems with these ewe's, could these ewes dams have been tupped by a relation or something?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: problem sheep and lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:49:16 am »
Problems with small/weak/aborted/early lambs in shearlings can be a sign of Toxoplasmosis, which is an infection spread through cats, usually young cats that have no immunity, they can pick it up from one sheep, pass it in their faeces into sheep feed. Older ewes are often not affected because they have immunity.
It would be worth a chat with your vet, and if there are any fresh (less than 1-2 days dead) dead lambs, well worth sending the lamb and placenta for testing. Could be worth doing blood samples on the mothers, which will pick up antibodies if they have been exposed to Toxoplasma.
It is quite easily controlled as there is a vaccine, so may be worth vaccinating for next year if that was the problem.
I would definitely chat with the vet, who will have a good discussion with you about your farm, feeding, the local area and weather conditions etc, as there are other non-infectious reasons for having the odd weak lamb, including condition of ewes at and through pregnancy, poor weather at certain times of pregnancy weakening the placenta, general infections/unwellness/handling of ewes can also upset the development of the lambs.
With a small number affected, this may be 'one of those things' and you may not get to the bottom of it, but I would still recommend investigating for Toxo, as it is easily managed in future.
Hope the rest of them are well and I have been of some help
Suzanne

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
The word on the grapevine around here is that there are an unusually high number of late abortions in both calvings and lambings this year - some tested but nothing showed up.  One farmer lost 6 calves from heifers in a week and our nighbour lost 3 sets of lambs in a day.  Some of his lamb were born 11 days early and  have survived but have poor fleece and sucking reflex.

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:54:03 pm »
hi Suzanne

pretty sure its not toxo all though well worth a mention. If it had effected the other sheep and the other sheilings from a different farmer then maybe. Apart from these 3 were having a cracking start to lambing  :)

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:08 pm »
question is would you keep or cull these ewes  ???

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »
I would be tempted to keep them, if udders, feet, etc all good.
If toxo, they would be immune from now on, if an insult due to weather/handling/some infection during this pregnancy, it is unlikely to affect them next year.
Obviously if repeat problems in them next year I would cull, but I think give them a shot as unlikely anything to do with genetics or problems with these ewes per se.
All the best with the lambs :)

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:44 pm »
cheers fsmnutter, yea that's good advice I'm going to give them another chance and see what happens. I think they'll be ok next year. Found out bloke who had them before corned them up through out the year, not sure that will have helped.

hope your lambing goes well also :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS