Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy voles....  (Read 7688 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Bl**dy voles....
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:22:45 pm »
 :rant:

Bl**dy voles have just nipped off more than half of my broad bean plants/seedlings (all about an inch tall) in the polytunnel and then just discarded the tops all over the bed. I am livid, only transplanted them at the weekend...

I am at my wits' end with them - we have tried poisoning, trapping, make sure all the holes are covered up... what else can I do to get rid of them in my p/tunnel?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Bl**dy voles....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:33:09 pm »
one of my cats sleeps in our greenhouse by choice, we just leave the door open a tad. is that an option? our cats always catch voles and usually dump them in the house.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:20:15 pm »
I've had the same problem in my polytunnel.  Now I plant my broad beans in 4" pots, two seeds per pot, with plenty of FYM in the bottom.  They stand in bakers trays which are suspended from the crop bars.  Once they are about 8-9" tall I plant them out.   It's a bit of a faff but the little devils can't get up there and they don't seem so interested once the plants are taller
There's also our two terriers of course which do their best at terrorising the voles but aren't very good at catching them.

Inside my greenhouse (the one inside my polytunnel) we found a nest under a seed tray on a bench.  In it was a wood mouse (if those are the browny ones with pale bellies) and her youngsters.  They are SO cute I can't bring myself to turf them out or set the dogs on them. When I lift the tray the mother mouse sits up and looks me in the eye  8)      Hopefully they will move on before I sow stuff in there.  I can be a right softy  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:27:44 pm »
I can top that fleece - when we lived in Edinburgh by the sea we had a rat problem - rat catcher set a cage and in it came.  I felt so sorry for it, it was cute and was desperately trying to get out the bars, so in anticipation of its impending doom, I fed it Mr Kipplings Manor House cake until the rat catcher came to collect.  ::)  That was when I was a townie  I have to say  :D

Sorry Anke, that doesn't sort your problem.  But they're SO cute.  Maybe just grow things on benches in grow bags  ???  or is their a sonic noise thingy that's battery operated?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:14 pm »
I once had a mouse/vole in the goat feed bin. It couldn't get out and I couldn't catch it. Can't remember what happened in the end.

Hanging the pots up seems like a good idea.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:18 am »
As an aside, if you need to catch a live vole, mouse etc, use a Wellington - lie it down close to small creature, it sees a dark place to hide, runs into the wellie, you can then grab the top to stop the blighter escaping, and take it outside. They can be a bit reluctant to come out, but lying the wellie down in undergrowth will usually encourage an escape to freedom.we use this trick regularly as our cats often bring us live "presents!"

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:30 am »
Can you leave a couple of hens in the poly tunnel to catch them. Some of our hens are great mousers.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 11:34:39 am »
Can you leave a couple of hens in the poly tunnel to catch them. Some of our hens are great mousers.

Yes but they'll scratch up the beans too  :chook: or have a dust bath in them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 11:43:48 pm »
You just can't win.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:46 am »
One of our hens caught a baby wren the other day.  I took it off her but too late to save it.  I had heard they ccatch mice, but small birds :o .
Sorry, off topic :innocent:
Get an outside cat and put a bed for it in the polytunnel :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:57:46 am »
I LIKE voles  ::) , cute little things, and shrews.
I've rescued a few from our cat, I wish he's catch mice.
I like the wood mouse as well, if I can I'll take them and lose them over the fields, others I'm 'happy' to use mouse traps on, but I wish I didn't have to.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:12 am »
Well cats are really difficult for us, two of us are allergic to them, so no house cats possible. Have tried in the past to get some feral/farm cats - but just not been able to! You would think they are lots of them about, but no, most of the rescue cats are pets/house cats! Also issue with possible Toxo for goats and sheep, so shied away from kittens too. We may re-visit if the problem is getting worse. Don't cats then use the beds as toilet and scratch the polythene if they see a bird or something outside? I would have to put a cat flap into it.... ::)

I found another hole in the polythene too, so that's now blocked up. I have "caught" mice/voles/shrews in watering cans a few times... they then do the drowning bit for me in there and I only need to empty it on the compost bin.

I am afraid I have not much sympathy with these voles - they have acres of rough ground to live in round here, so my polytunnel is really too much of a luxury hotel for them.  :rant:

Have now sown another batch and will leave on the table for a bit longer (which we have found is out of reach, unless someone leaves a spade leaning up against it.... :-[)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:55:36 pm »

Found this battery operated pest control on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ultrasonic+mouse+repellent+battery&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aultrasonic+mouse+repellent+battery

don't know if voles have different hearing though  ???

Doesn't work - we tried them ages ago in our garage - mice built a nest really near it...

rkardo

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »
Owl?
Falcon?
Is there any birds of prey that can be kept in the UK?
They don't actually need to hunt them If they are in the poly-tunnel they will scare the rats away...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS