Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Could do with some feedback on my journal......  (Read 4060 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Could do with some feedback on my journal......
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:56 pm »
Hi all - I could do with some feedback on my journal please if anyone has the time

The programme I am using is being particularly annoying at present and what you see is definitely not what you get!!!   I have to keep going back and moving the photos as they overlap the text, but not on the working page, so it is all guesswork as to how it comes out

I just wondered if viewing on different platforms (if that is the correct word) makes a difference with how it appears on the page. I really should learn another programme, but to be honest it takes me enough time to sort out the photos and write something to put on there, plus the internet connection up here is very patchy and often fades out after you have used it for a while so it would be a nightmare trying to learn something new.

Anyway, if you could let me know what is going on from a "user" point of view that would be helpful

I have gone back and added some photos that were missed from earlier and put up a few new pages, but I want to move on to a place for tonight so I am not sure if there will be internet there, where I am now is on a dreadful slope and apparently its bad for the fridge, but at least I have been out of the worst of the wind, and have had a connection.   :eyelashes:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Could do with some feedback on my journal......
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:03:05 pm »
Hi DBE

I haven't actually read any of the journal as yet BUT it is a bit weird having the latest entries at the bottom of what is already a very long list... normally the newest content would be at the top so that return users can see the new stuff without having to work for it.
Will report on anything else I note

:eyelashes:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:30:07 pm »

I haven't actually read any of the journal as yet BUT it is a bit weird having the latest entries at the bottom of what is already a very long list... normally the newest content would be at the top so that return users can see the new stuff without having to work for it.

that's my only comment to, but other than that's its really enjoyable.
there are a few BlogSpot things around so if its tricky to use, just change.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:53:44 pm »
I'm viewing on chrome. Formatting looks ok but agree it is odd to have the newest entry at the bottom. Also I clicked a link then had no idea how to get back to the list of entries.

I use wordpress and get along with it quite well.

Hope that helps.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »
Love all the pictures - think what you're doing is great - your writing is lovely to read and I hope you enjoy your trips - same for me if needed could go to the top it would be great  :thumbsup:

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:57 pm »
Hi,
Sitting at an airport with some time to kill so I thought I'd look at a few entries on my iPad. I'm now hooked and intend reading them all and keeping an eye for new entries.
It looks fine to me and I like the photos
Have fun!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:52 am »
Loving your journal, viewing on my iPad and all looks good there, photos are excellent. It would be good if new entries were at the top but I am hooked anyway! :thumbsup:
Anne

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:37 am »
I have also enjoyed reading about your adventures. The pictures look great, I didn't notice any format issue. some more photos would be great! :)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:42 am »
I would like to see a map of your route as you progress and the ongoing number of miles you have covered.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
Thanks all - well at least it sounds as though the photos are staying in the right place at least - I find it really irritating if you go to a site and cant read the text cause the photos are overlapping

I know the format is not ideal  -  I set it up quickly just before I left, mainly to see if I would enjoy doing it.  Over the years I have had to do so many things I would have preferred not to thatnow I don't want to have to do something as a "chore" - but at present I am really enjoying the writing and putting up the piccies, and its good if someone at the other end is enjoying reading it as well

The problem with changing it all at present is that my interenet connection is intermittent at best  So I really need to be somewhere settled for a while to do that, and to be honest I am enjoying the travelling around.  The only time I have stayed longer than two days so far was when I had some technical problem and had to hang around.

I like the map idea and will see what I can do.  But I decided against miles and dates - for some reason I feel like I want to be a 'free spirit' at present and ignore times and distances - does that make any sense.

The other thing I have decided not to do is keep a note of what it is costing day to day.  Mainly because the first time I visited a filling station and the tanks weren't empty and I didn't fill them either the bill was £225 - I don't think its going to be all that expensive doing what I am doing, but once again, I don't want that to become an overriding interest in my life.  I just want to live life as it comes along.   Probably never got the chance to be a hippy back in the sixties  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  and making up for it now. 

I have booked in for my first ever pop festival - Cropredy sometime in the summer  :excited:

Its a bit of a grey day here at present, but not raining and I am sitting looking at a herd of the free'est free range pigs I have ever seen.  They are just literally roaming round the farm and look so happy and relaxed about it all.  In the background at The Drongs at Eshaness.  Will try and add some piccies, but I am a bit behind at present. 

Here's one to whet your appetite, but I am hoping for an improvement in the weather.  The trouble is here in Shetland if you don't take a piccie when you can sometimes you don't get another chance. 

many thanks all

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »
don't feel pressure to write if you don't want to. I follow a few blogs and sometimes they don't update for weeks and weeks, or just once a week.
the bits I love best are the human thoughts and emotions, I felt like I was there with you - driving up the kirkyard road in your last post, as you write really well. I love your blog, and your bravery cos id love to do the same oneday.

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »
Keep writing!!!
I really enjoy reading blogs and yours is very interesting.
I miss it and maybe worry a bit when your posts aren't there everyday.
Lovely writing and a great adventure. Hug to phoebe

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:15 pm »
I love it all  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS