Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeder Recommendation: Harmony Poultry, Dumfrieshire  (Read 8427 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Breeder Recommendation: Harmony Poultry, Dumfrieshire
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 10:42:34 am »
the horse debate is worthy of its own thread. yes its cruel to send live horses abroard for slaughter. but thats down to our view of horses not being a meat animal. without the chance to sell off excess colts as meat which i would not do then there is an over supply of them. case in point shetland pony colts were selling for less than £15 last year. if there is no market for these horses then they are going to suffer.

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 10:50:12 am »
Its alright for you lot in the sticks, at least you can shoot them!
I'm in an urban area with chicks in the back garden.   Admittedly my garden is therefore a bit of a fox magnet, but the neighbourhood seems over-run with them.  I can't poison them (apparently illegal, also respect for neighbours pets), can't shoot them.  Got onto local council website who assured me I won't be able to trap them, they're too clever for that, its ok for the neighbours to feed them and its not their responsibility.  Oh and the fox poo in my garden is unlikely to do anyone any harm, despite the fox population carrying various diseases.  Unlike my dog poo which has to be picked up incase it gives anyone worms.  I have two dogs which would happily chase any small mammals, but understand it's illegal for them to do so!  But its ok for the fox to kill any of my chicks I'm careless enough to let out of there stockade for 5 minutes - or for that matter other childrens pets, in fact its all our fault for not building strong enough fortifications!!  Its all very frustrating.  Sorry, rant over.

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 11:31:03 am »
I posted some info about this on another thread, can't rememeber which one though - sorry !
Foxes ARE classed as pests and as such your council HAVE to deal with them.
Here's a snippet from the fox site website,
Can I get someone to trap and remove the foxes in my garden?
Yes: there are no legal restrictions on catching foxes in cage traps so long as these are checked at least once every 24 hours, although in the UK it is illegal to catch foxes in leghold (gin) traps. However, it is probably not worth the expense. Vacant territories are generally recolonized within a few days. Whilst most trapped foxes are shot, some operators have admitted to releasing foxes a few miles from where they were trapped. This is a very questionable activity, especially since foxes home over considerable distances. Exceptionally, foxes have been recorded homing up to 100 miles (150 kilometres), and trapped foxes are quite likely to return home if released within 30 miles (50 kilometres) of their point of capture.
http://www.thefoxwebsite.org/faq/urbanfoxproblems.html#q14 has loads more information.
Also if you google 'pest control foxes' you'll get loads of links with info.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 12:01:23 pm »
I saw a program on tv where two men caught urban foxes, they had a pest control company in London, Ratting Pidgeons Foxes etc trapping and poisoning, so im sure it must be legal? They usually let out the foxes in the country (the pest control and RSPCA etc), on which gamekeepers and lampers shoot them sraight away, an urban fox will stand in a lamp but a country fox will run sraight off! So they do either find there way back or get shot fairly sharpish?!
I think they charge a fortune tho for the trapping, and from what people have told me the council never bother and do nothing about the foxes?! Understanderble how frustrating it is for town folk keeping chickens etc!!! >:(

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 12:13:11 pm »
According to my local council one can't trap and release foxes as it may be against some 'Animal Abandonment' Act!! Sorry, can't remember it, and don't want to re-read the article as it made me so cross, it was like the little beasts were some sort of outdoor pet, and the council were giving a whole lot of excuses as to why it wasn't going to do anything about the problem.  However, OH saw about 7 within 100 yards of the place a while ago, which seems a bit excessive to me.  Anyway, thanks for the info, will be doing some reading.  

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 01:04:33 pm »
I think you might be right about the abandonment thing - generally someone 'dispatches' them ater they're trapped or releases them with permission onto farm/amenity land.
Incidentally, on the trapping issue - did you know it's ILLEGAL to release a grey squirrel that's been trapped, you've GOT to kill it.
xnbacon - I'd go back to your council, kick up absloute stink - they obiviously deal with mice and rats in terms of pest control - foxes are the same - VERMIN. Write to your local MP, go to senior council peeps, keep hounding them (excuse the bad pun) you pay your council tax (I presume ;)) and they are not providing a service which is so obviously required (7 within 100 yards is a fairly high amount, even if you take into account some of them are cubs - I'd say) Good luck !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS