Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb front knees bit bent/weak  (Read 11144 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
lamb front knees bit bent/weak
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
Hi

One of my very small twins born Monday has weak front knees.  They are now a little bowed.  Doesn't seem to be any swelling.    Joint Ill or deficiency???  Suggestions for treatment please

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Somewhere_by_the_river

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Near Llandeilo
    • Angela French Graphite Artist
    • Facebook
Re: lamb front knees bit bent/weak
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 06:50:16 pm »
Ooh Linda - don't post things like that before I come to visit, I'll want to take it away and look after it!! ;) (Though I think you'll do a better job and the cat will give me the cold shoulder forever if I did.)

Hope someone can help and it all works out okay.

A x

(P.S. Cake ingredients all ready to go...!)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »
Could be joint ill. Suggest speaking to your vet as the correct a/bs could help if so.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:48:26 pm »
We get this some years, usually in Texel types, could possibly be a mineral deficiency during pregnancy.  They generally come right once they get some sunshine on them.

Other folks do massages, straightening exercises, splints etc - but I suspect they mostly would all come right on their own.  So long as it can get to mum to feed, and follow her about for safety, I'd leave it to the sun ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »
I agree. Its often rickets. Sunshine, or dose with vitamin D. Carrs billington sell 5l tins or if you've just a few lambs Abidec drops from the chemist work fine.  You usually see a dramatic improvement in 48hours

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:19:32 pm »
just had a lovely vision of Carrs Billington sellin 5l tins of sunshine.  Wouldn't that be lovely? bulk order for me please.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
Abidec drops from the chemist work fine. 

Fab, I would have never thought of that - my sons both have those every morning, so we always have it in, will remember that.

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »
Hey,

I took some time off owed to me and went lambing on another farm (busman's holiday) to help some friends out early morning and evening between shifts.

Whilst I was there another much more experienced shepherd was covering the day shift and he treated a lamb similar to the one you described which was weak on its front legs by using some grey pipe lagging cut about five inches long and insulated taped on.

This was used alongside some vit D and after a few days it was well on its way and ready for turning out.

Hope your lambs recovered and racing round in the sunshine with the others  :raining:

Tim

Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS