Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weight of goats?  (Read 4320 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Weight of goats?
« on: March 15, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
My worm count on the goats has come back a bit high.  I have always dosed them by syringe into the mouth  (with sheep wormer obviously as nothing specifically for goats). The problem is with the Anglo Nubians.  Not sure whether they are just more prone for some reason, but anyway, the vet we now use has been brilliant with help on this. 

My previous vet practice - which I moved from cos of the botched disbudding of kids amongst other things, and they just did not seem interested/knowledgeable about goats - told me to worm them same dose as sheep, so I did. New vet, said double the dose for goats!!  So, I have been underworming by the looks of it.

She has told me to inject each goat.  Ideally sheep weighing scales would be ideal but we do not have those, and know no one with a portable one to borrow.

How do I work out how much to inject?!!  Its 2ml per 50kg for goats.  We have various AN females, some smaller than others,, a large intact male,   and then .....the diddy pygmy who lives with them, who is the size of a lamb.

Any help on weights would be appreciated - thanks!!  Vet seemed to think the bigger females would be 50kg?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Weight of goats?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
The billy I would give 5ml, all the others 4ml, pygmy 2ml . there is usually a good safety margin on wormers and it is better to overdose than underdose.
Our B.Saanens all weigh in at between 60-80 kg each

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »
Big AN males will be at least 100kgs - somewhere on the goat thread I wrote up ages ago the girth width to weight ratio, so by measuring just behind their front legs round the ribcage you should get a good idea. If you cannot find it - do the measuring tomorrow and I will look up the corresponding weight.

What's the wormer the vet has prescribed?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:13 am »
Wormer is Dectomax.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:31:07 am »
Wormer is Dectomax.

Yep that's twice the sheep dose, and it's not the one that's dangerous if you overdose a bit. It won't have a milk withdrawal time on it I think, I always use 7 days no milk for humans, but normally would still use it on other livestock. It may have a cows milk withdrawal though, if yes I take that one as a guide.

(you have to be careful with Levamisole based wormers - I think they are the yellow ones - as they are not be used during the last 3 weeks of pregnancy, and not to exceed the 1.5 times sheep dose with those ones, as it becomes toxic and it should only be used in drench version on goats, not injectable)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
Thank you Anke for that info.  Vet is aware that some of  the females are hopefully due to kid, so that's probably why she chose this wormer.  Would be so much easier if they were all the same size!! ;D ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:20:58 pm »
One of my pygmies was weighed at the vets last year, she's 25kg (bag of feed!) if that's of help roxy.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »
the Rules have recently changed on some wormers, there are some not to be used on animals which are to be used for milk production, check the  relevant website for new information, but in this case your vet should be aware Roxy.
I usually use a sheep drench, twice advised dose.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:55:32 pm »
A big thank you to Penninehillbilly for providing me with info on goat weights.

TAS has some really helpful members!!

Kymw90

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Falmouth, Cornwall
  • Nubians are cute!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 04:25:15 pm »
My worm count on the goats has come back a bit high.  I have always dosed them by syringe into the mouth  (with sheep wormer obviously as nothing specifically for goats). The problem is with the Anglo Nubians.  Not sure whether they are just more prone for some reason, but anyway, the vet we now use has been brilliant with help on this. 

My previous vet practice - which I moved from cos of the botched disbudding of kids amongst other things, and they just did not seem interested/knowledgeable about goats - told me to worm them same dose as sheep, so I did. New vet, said double the dose for goats!!  So, I have been underworming by the looks of it.

She has told me to inject each goat.  Ideally sheep weighing scales would be ideal but we do not have those, and know no one with a portable one to borrow.

How do I work out how much to inject?!!  Its 2ml per 50kg for goats.  We have various AN females, some smaller than others,, a large intact male,   and then .....the diddy pygmy who lives with them, who is the size of a lamb.

Any help on weights would be appreciated - thanks!!  Vet seemed to think the bigger females would be 50kg?

Roxy you have Nubians!!! Please share your wisdom with me as I have 2 and need some advice. I'll pm later tonight if that's ok

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS