Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding layers pellets without getting them soggy?  (Read 5585 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Feeding layers pellets without getting them soggy?
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:48 pm »
I've been trying to use one of these feeders outdoors, but the rain just blows in underneath and everything turns into rancid weetabix.

Any ideas folks?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Feeding layers pellets without getting them soggy?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »
Feed in the poultry house. Or make a covered area shelter type place.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:21 pm »
Hat looks too high. We have one of these

http://www.regencypoultry.com/feeders/plasticfeeders/TayCFeeder.htm

Takes half a bag and it keeps food dry whatever the weather. Plus it's not too low for cockerels which is a problem we found with some, they can't get their combs under the hat.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »
Don't feed them pellets, feed them grain, they'll love you for it - pellets are like cardboard.  We feed ours grain and maize all the time and it doesn't matter if it gets wet.  We've never had a fat hen and some of ours are still laying at 8 years old.  Give them something tasty, let them enjoy their short life  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:01:42 pm »
OK, maybe I should have given some more information  ;D .  We do usually feed just whole wheat, but find our black rocks really don't lay well on it. My theory is that their metabolism is so high, they need the other stuff that's in the layer's pellets, so I set up the red feeder to see.  However, it really hasn't worked, as the rain blows in under the hat, no matter where I try to put it.

That's why I wanted to ask what the rest of you are doing?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:12 pm »
we solved the problem, new chook house is on 18inch legs and the feeder goes underneath as its the chooks favourite place to hang out on a wet day anyway... only get damp pellets on the really really wet days!!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »
I posted the same question a couple of months back when it hadn't stopped raining for about six months (or so). We've got similar feeders in aluminium and even under the field shelters the pellets were turning into a soggy mess. Treadle feeders seemed to be the top tip although I haven't gone there (yet). We ended up giving mixed grain on the really wet days (but did end up with soft shelled eggs and some funny textured shells - don't know whether it was related). I think the best solution for us would be to suspend the feeders inside the field shelters but that's quite a lot of work!

H

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
drum pheasant feeders. the worst you get in an unsheltered site is soggy pellets in the spring bit-easily cleaned out. I honestly think that 99% of poultry feeders and drinkers are utterly useless in Scottish weather.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:27 pm »
My feeder is inside and is hanging at chicken breast height, and I also scatter a couple of handfuls in the free range area when I let them out.  I must get some grain for mine - poor souls are deprived  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 05:10:33 am »
Hi Womble. The protein level of wheat is far too low for layers. It's only 10% and laying hens need at least 15%. We use wheat when we want to stop them laying -in the case of a prolapse. Hens for show have wheat only in the week before. Our neighbour boosts his wheat with sunflower seeds, but they still don't lay that well. There is no economical substitute for layers pellets kept out of the rain under a field shelter or the coop. They will eat it wet but it goes off very quickly indeed, depending on the temperature.

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 08:25:40 am »
I purchased this from ebay and followed the instructions works great and it does work, check out there video on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-Chicken-Duck-Poultry-Feeder-free-from-vermin-/251468866448?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3a8cb66390
Pigs are human tooo

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:31:43 am »
Ours get pellets in the morning when they get let out, scattered about and none of it stays on the ground long enough to get wet. Then mixed grain in the afternoon, same again gobbled up then the rest of the time they scratch around. I tried feeders like yours but got too many birds now for those to be any use. I used to find it half way down the field on a breezy day so had to put a heavy base on it.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »

Thanks for the advice folks. Tala Orchard - I'd not seen a contraption like that before, so it got my interest. I work with solids handling equipment (powder conveyors etc) for a living, so I was trying to figure out how it worked.

Anyhow, I've still no idea, but what I did discover is that if I drill a 19mm hole in the bottom of a blue keg, and put a long bolt through, with another bolt welded across the inside to make a t-shape, a little spurt of grain comes out when the dangly bolt gets knocked, but then stops due to the grain "bridging", just like the chookamatic in your link!

So, I've set the keg up outside as an experiment. So far none of the hens have actually pecked at the bolt yet - they just keep walking around underneath and nudging it by accident. However, it will be interesting to see if they do catch on  :thumbsup: .

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:19:28 pm »
T he feeders I use have the "hats" a little closer to the actual feed, but they still went weetabix like in the bad weather, so I just put a board on the prevailing wind side and it cured the problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS