Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep worrying!  (Read 2510 times)

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
sheep worrying!
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:17 am »
my neighbours dog was in with my in-lamb ewes  this morning. when I spoke to my neighbour he just denied it was his dog and seemed indifferent to the fact it was worrying my livestock! what are the rules regarding trapping the dog? as I don't wish to shoot it, just prove to my neighbour its his dog.

P

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: sheep worrying!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:11 am »
If a stray dog is on your land (i.e. not under the direct control of a responsible owner) I think it would be reasonable to contain it in order to prevent sheep worrying.  Or you could take a photograph?

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:35:00 am »
Video it and report it.

undergruntled

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:31:33 am »
Tell him you can legally shoot his dog.  That might make him take a bit more notice, even if you have no plans to do so.

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »
I would take a picture but think he would still deny ownership of the dog. I was thinking if I trapped it I could take it to the dog pound, I would inform him I caught a dog in my field and had taken it there. He would then need to collect it' thus proving ownership. I think he would receive a lecture from the dog warden about the worrying of livestock and the relevant law. Maybe then he would take proper care and keep it out of my land!

P

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
Have notified the dog warden of more than one stray dog caught too close to the sheep. Not necessarily worrying them but worrying me. The cost of retrieving the dog from the pound often helps persuade owners to keep their dogs under better control.

Ps I knew who owned the dog but they ignored polite requests to keep their dog under control.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:36:26 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:53 pm »
Just to remind folks that one is only allowed to shoot a dog which is actively worrying livestock and which cannot be diverted or restrained.  So if you can shoo it away, or call it to you, or catch it, or get its owner to call if off quickly, then that's the thing to do. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS