Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick goat  (Read 5490 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
sick goat
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:22 pm »
Ginny,one of new Golden Guernsey mum's has taken a turn for the worse. She kidded about two and a half weeks ago, and has been fine, we're bottle feeding her kid (because we had a kid who's mum was intent on throwing her in the air so couldn' t leave it on it's own.)

We've been milking her and all appeared fine until yesterday when she didn't want to eat, was lethargic and generally put of sorts. We've kept her fluids up by drenching with warm water with glucose in it, and spoken to the vet who said that there probably wasn't much they could do at the moment except give pain relief if she needed it. Today she was poorly and more lethagic this morning, but has perked up a bit this afternoon. We've given her a few rose shoots and little bits of ivy as well as continuing to keep her fluids up. Generally we are giving her as much TLC as we can. Is there anything else we can be doing or is it just wait and see?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: sick goat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:50:37 pm »
She's got milk fever and needs injecting with Calciject or Magniject quickly! I am amazed that your vet doesn't realise that!

You need to drench her with ceto phyton and also best to give vitamin B's injection to stimulate appetite.

Plus lots of TLC and keep her eating - try any treats she likes, there are already some weeds out - dog leaves, dandelion such like, Ivy good if she likes it.

You have to act quickly -if she stops eating it will be nigh on impossible to get her back...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »
Absolutely guaranteed milk fever..............at this stage, it will be all hands on deck to keep her going.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:15:50 pm »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. Had something similar myself a few years ago nd vet haddent a clue. Everything that year was coccidiosis.  Honey also good as predigested by bees. Good luck! We did a week of 24hr shifts between the two of us, unfortunately to no avail....Better luck for you I hope! :fc:
Anke, where do you get the calciject? I'm in Ireland nd lots of the meds don't seem to be licensed for goats...Also the cetophyton, nd whats that? Do you give them anything before they kid? Thanks.
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »
We've just come back from our land and she is much better, she pinched a digestive biscuit out of my hand, is much more alert and her eyes are 'bright', she's also hungry, she's eaten some greens and hay, and some honey mixed with bran, we've drenched her with glucose solution and given her some Ketol - on the advice of a very experienced goat keeping friend.

We aren't happy with the vet anyway so as of today we are changing to another one!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
 :fc: everything's ok, when you say honey and bran, is this bran as in bran flakes,  excuse my ignorance
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:54 pm »
Anke, where do you get the calciject? I'm in Ireland nd lots of the meds don't seem to be licensed for goats...Also the cetophyton, nd whats that? Do you give them anything before they kid? Thanks.

In the UK you can get Calciject (Calcium Borogluconate I think) and Magniject (which has also got Magnesium in for "grass stagger"s in both cattle and sheep) from the Agrmerchants, if not the vets would sell it too. I am sure most sheep farmers will know of it. It is produced by Norbrook.

Cetophyton is Propylene glycol plus some other added things, and I have found it easier taken by the goats. I get it from the vets.Not cheap (about 20 pounds per litre), but it lasts for at least a year, and I can accurately dose it as not as think as some of the sheep equivalents. But many goatkeepers also use Ketosaid. Cetophyton or ketosaid are only used of the goat is not eating well enough and I suspect that she has acetoanaemia/ketosis - either during pregnancy or in the early stages of her lactation.

Reedos - you want to look for a farmvet that ideally also has cattle dairy herds on his/her books as well as sheep. Many problems for goats come from the "dairy" side, so a vet who knows about mastitis (in dairy animals as opposed to sheep) for example is much more use for goatkeepers.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:08 pm »
Don't waste any more time on this or you will have a dead goat, get the calciject into her NOW.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »
Change of vet, complete change in approach.

She's had what looks like a huge syringe full of calciject and a smaller one of antibiotic, we've another 3 days worth of antibiotic

To say she wasn't happy with being injected is an understatement! She is looking really sorry for herself tonight, but has been eating.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:10:36 pm by reedos »

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:29 pm »
Anke. So sorry, your reply is all jumbled up. Any chance of posting it again?
Good to hear change of vet hopefully done the job! Fingers crossed. :fc:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:04:26 pm »
They do sulk a bit after an injection. As she's eating, that's got to be a good sign.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:22 pm »
Been reading with interest - how's she going now?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »
She's really perked up,eating happily. Had her last antibiotic tonight.Hopefully she's out of the woods now

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 09:37:21 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's a relief. At least you'll know what it is if it happens again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS