Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Idea - set up local face to face group  (Read 5411 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
Idea - set up local face to face group
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:03 pm »
Hi

I love this site it is full of soo much help and advice and I wondered if anyone had set up a local face to face group to share things like vaccinations etc. as well as support and advice.

If so do you have any tips on setting them up (the local vet is gathering names).

Thanks

K

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Idea - set up local face to face group
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »
There have been a few TAS meets in Scotland, although not recently and there's a Welsh group.

Where are you?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:32:50 pm »
People have come to see me (on the quiet, like  ;D ) to gather ideas about sheep farming...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »
The Evesham/worcs branch of TAS members regularly meet at the local goat club  :)  Its handy for the things you mentioned and to stop us feeling isolated as smallholders.  There's about 5 or 6 of us on here.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »
I'd love it... but there aren't a lot of Essex burds and geezers on here... :(

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:01:57 pm »
I'd love it... but there aren't a lot of Essex burds and geezers on here... :(

Is that a bad thing ?  :-J 
(I can say that as I'm originally one - hides face in shame  :sofa: )
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:37:33 pm »
I did try to get a Shropshire branch going but, although lots of people said they would like a meet-up, no one would actually commit, apart from one and she couldn't make it.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »
what about a local group section on the forum, seen it on other forums and seems to be a good idea?

BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:11 pm »
Hi thanks for the comments, i`m in East Yorkshire, and spending far too much at the vets.

I think a local group is a good thing but know motivating others can be difficult, if there is anyone in my area who wants to give it a go, let me know,.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I also think this site could poss help with sharing vaccines etc., in a l local area.

Thanks

K

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:01 pm »
It's a good idea O, I live in WY and we have several smalloholder neighbours we share vaccinations, antibiotics and wormers with cos vets and agri suppliers are not always open (Bank Holidays, Christmas, Sundays etc, we help each other out.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:59:37 pm »
I would love to set something up but the trouble with people with livestock is they have so little time and are spread apart so it sort of has to be built into something they might go to anyway, like a sale or country show a bit like the Young farmers tents, where you could perhaps have a caravan or a wagon in the car park where people can meet up have a chat and a cup of tea and combine it with a Facebook group for that area.
 Horse people have loads have Facebook groups which buy and sell and exchange information, the members are mainly women but a few men mainly farmers sell hay and straw on them  successfully. The Suffolk smallholders Facebook looks little used but I am sure there is a need for this if its only for local sales or swops.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 12:14:42 am »
For Essex, herts, Beds, Cambs how about something like this, http://www.hertsshow.com/index.php?pageid=7

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
I would love to set something up but the trouble with people with livestock is they have so little time and are spread apart so it sort of has to be built into something they might go to anyway, like a sale or country show a bit like the Young farmers tents, where you could perhaps have a caravan or a wagon in the car park where people can meet up have a chat and a cup of tea and combine it with a Facebook group for that area.
 Horse people have loads have Facebook groups which buy and sell and exchange information, the members are mainly women but a few men mainly farmers sell hay and straw on them  successfully. The Suffolk smallholders Facebook looks little used but I am sure there is a need for this if its only for local sales or swops.

Did you ever set a facebook group up for cambs?

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 09:09:20 pm »
Keep thinking about it. there are a lot of groups with very few members, I think you need over a thousand to make it viable and the best groups, round here we have Ely bay have about 6k. So I keep looking for something that you would get traffic by tagging on to it, the main horsegroup in this area started as a spin off from a tack shop.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS