Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune kune pork  (Read 7823 times)

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Barnsley South Yorkshire
  • Milton n Rosie
Re: Kune kune pork
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »
Cheers Carl ,

I'll give them a call on Monday to make sure

Joe

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 09:25:24 am »
Hi dont let me panic you, its probably just our abattoir which is a big commercial one.

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:14 am »
No worries HM ,

Its nice to have it all straight in your mind before it happens so I can make sure everything is in place

Ta

Joe

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »
The weights for dead carcass are about 45kg. so not too bad. i used legs for hams and also boned them out to make nice family sized joints. (nothing over sized like you can with big breeds) shoulders made great sausages (not sure exactly how many but the freezer was over flowing) same amount of chops as you would a normal pig but smaller- they where slightly darker in colour which make them taste amazing. we have never made bacon from them because we have saddleback pigs as well so they get made into bacon.
To be honest Kune Kunes do make great eating but on a smaller scale to your more common pigs but they don't make half the mess big pigs make, they are pretty safe around little children and they are just lovely easy pigs!
oooh and they taste....... amazing.
i did get funny looks at the abattoir though, but i didn't care! 

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 12:34:01 pm »
Hey thanks pink ,

I did take some more pics this morning (just on my phone) I was alone at the time so I struggled to give the pigs any scale .I'll take a look at them now and if they aren't too rubbish I'll put them on .I was never really bothered about getting massive amounts of meat ,my freezer isn't too big ,just some nice quality and of course provenance .

Quick message for Carl .I had a word with the old guy you asked about and he said he would butcher the carcasses for me in exchange for a few cuts so that is great news .

I'll have a mess around with the pics and hope there is one good 'un

Thanks pink

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 01:47:03 pm »
Here are a few pics of the kunes as they are .As I said I had nothing to scale them so I looked really cool hobbling around the field with one wellie on taking photos .I have to load these a few at a time so more to follow

Thanks

JoeMac

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 01:48:11 pm »
just a couple more !!

I have to laugh at myself sometimes .Talk about asking the impossible ?? I am expecting prople to advise me whether my pigs may be worth sending on their holidays in the next couple of months by posting poor quality pictures of them in a field with a blue size 9 wellie ?? I forgot to mention the wellie size it could make all the difference .I think I need to spend more time with other people maybe !!

Oh Dear

Thanks all for your patience

JoeMac
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:56:57 pm by JoeMac »

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 02:44:50 pm »
yes, love the welly for scale - abit random!!
Having said that, we've tracked our baby goat's growth by how many slats of the shed she comes up to!
Your boar is similar to ours, a little more black on yours.
He'll likely fill out more if you  can wait, his legs are quite dainty compared to my porker! Let us know what you decide to do, I'm sure the meat will be lovely
Little Blue

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 02:48:18 pm »
Thanks little ,

A bit random is right .I'm just glad I couldn't get my hands on some sellotape and a 50p coin !!.

Much appreciated

JoeMac

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 06:37:38 pm »
I'm loving the true smallholder spirit here, very tom good.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:03 am »
They look lovely, am amazed the wellie is still in one piece.  In our field one of them would have buried it before I got the photo!!!

As already said above, best if you can wait a month or two till they fatten a little more. 

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 07:34:16 am »
Thanks H M ,

I'll keep you all posted !! very helpful advice all .thankyou

JoeMac

pink

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 12:47:20 pm »
They look great! but i'd wait until they are at least 10 months min. the winter will do them the world of good as the fat can be very excessive. Good luck!

JoeMac

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Milton n Rosie
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »
Thanks pink ,I'll keep you informed

JoeMac

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 06:30:42 pm »
Poor Joe, by the time you get to eat that pork its going to be the longest awaited feast.  But it will be worthwhile.  Dont throw any excess fat away rend it down as lard.  It makes perfect pork pie pastry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS