Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would you eat them?  (Read 4276 times)

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Would you eat them?
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »
I have some pear halves that I preserved in syrup in kilner jars from last year (could be the year before too).

I got them out of the cupboard and there wasnt quite enough syrup to cover the very top pear half so its gone a bit brown and has a small amount of green mould on the top bit.

The rest loooook fine so & I dont like the waste but...... would you eat them?  I am very tempted because the syrup should have preserved the rest of them.

Also found some sloe gin from 2 years ago too - I might try to pickle myself then I wouldnt worry about the pears  :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Would you eat them?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »
brings back memories of my mums preserved plums... :yum:

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »
brings back memories of my mums preserved plums... :yum:
You still need to tell me if I should eat my pears though  :roflanim:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:29:01 pm »
Personally, I would try one that had been totally covered in syrup. If it tasted ok, I would eat them apart from the one with green on it.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »
Personally, I would try one that had been totally covered in syrup. If it tasted ok, I would eat them apart from the one with green on it.

Thats what  I was thinking - If I suddenly stop posting everybody can blame MGoM  :roflanim:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:36:51 pm »
I hate waste too, so I'm forever cutting off shrivelled/funny looking/mouldy parts and eating the rest - still alive and kicking.
So I would agree with others, try a bit well below the 'brown line' and if it tastes OK I would just remove the 'above syrup' bits, and consume the rest as soon as possible.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:45 am »

Thats what  I was thinking - If I suddenly stop posting everybody can blame MGoM  :roflanim:

Gee thanks! You can blame ladyK as well. She agreed with me. I've often cut mould off food and eaten the rest. Cheese is fine. I've wiped the inside of a jar of jam to get rid of the penicillin as well.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:44 am »
have you not got a human guinea pig to test one on?
im sure youl be able to taste it if its off? we had a load of cooking chocolate from asda the other day but all I could taste was mould. it looked completely normal but im sure it had mould spores on it. mind you it was slightly damp in the packet.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:39:34 am »
Get rid of the top one eat the rest , it is what you have an immune system for. My grandfather used to hang a hare in his cellar until it glowed luminous and you didn't need to turn a light on down there then he'd jug it in port, the same with bacon , really rancid before he ate it, it got him in the end of course, when he was 99.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:26:46 pm »
I'd eat them as I don't like to see things wasted.

Reminds me of when I was an apprentice. We had a Polish toolroom foreman. Fantastic craftsman but he had some strange eating habits and was a bit forgetful. Quite partial to sardines he sometimes used to open a tin, get distracted and then forget where he had put them. He left an open tin in an obscure drill draw once and the lads decided to bet on how long they stayed there. Well days went past becoming weeks and the top sardines were looking a bit dry. More time passed and the top layer had become quite green and fluffy. Next day the foreman found them -and ate the lot!!!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:26 pm »
Thats decided then - no waste - they are going to be eaten.

To throw them away would also have wasted my preparation time and the reason for preserving them in the first place.

thanks for all your answers.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:00 pm »
Yuk!  they tasted really bad!  :roflanim:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:17 pm »
I wouldn't eat them if i were you ! lol

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »
mmm - I would chuck the top layer then curry the rest so as to kill off any potential bugs or pathogens.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:52 am »
Yuk!  they tasted really bad!  :roflanim:

That's me in the doghouse then.  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS