Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sick pig  (Read 3555 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
sick pig
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:02:04 pm »
Help ...I have a saddleback gilt who is about 10 months old and for the past 2 weeks she has been eating less and less. Now she has stopped altogether. My vet has no idea... she has had a penicillen injection, wormer and a vitamin B12 injection and no improvement, she has not got a temperature, and has now stopped drinking too. has anyone any ideas?
Anne

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Re: sick pig
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:34:10 pm »
Hello Daisys Mum

Sorry to hear you have a sick pig. I have no idea why she is not eating or drinking, but in the past when I have found traditional vet remedies not to help, I've taken the advice of a homeopathic vet (I know some consider it to be hocus pocus ! - but nothing ventured and all that). I've found it very helpful to a number of my animals. Crossgates (farm homeopaths) give telephone advice, and I have used their 'off food remedy' for a lamb in the past.

Good luck  :pig:

http://www.crossgatesfarm.co.uk/
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:57:08 pm »
Any other symtoms to go on?

Straight tail,dull eyes, latargic,bloated,dis coloured urine,unable to go to the toilet.. etc,etc??

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »
Is the vet a farm animal vet? can you syringe fluids into her? how long has she not eaten/drank? other symptoms?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:35:44 pm »
We had a similar problem with our last boar.  Vet was about to put him down.  I syringed tiny amounts of water laced with honey into his mouth, also pushed tiny bits of tinned tuna and smoked haddock through his clenched teeth.  It took for ever but it worked. v  Good luck.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:08:15 pm »
Sounds abit off the wall but.. is there any chance its picked up tetanus (lock - jaw) or anything from the soil, or toxic plants nearby?
Have you changed their feed, or given them 'extras' that could have upset her?
What tests has the vet done, to rule out any conditions?

Sorry to hear you're having bad time, its always frustrating and sad when animals are sick
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:13:38 pm »
Yes pig is lethargic with discoloured urine also only passing very small dry faeces, she is not bloated as she has a very empty belly, was eating small amounts of grass. I have not changed feed other 2 were fine ( they went to the butcher on monday)
Anne

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:20:23 pm »

My vet is a farm animal vet but this is not a very piggy area, did no tests and only took her temperature Cilla (pig) still has enough energy to get away when ever I go near her with a syringe,
Anne

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:28:12 pm »
If your struggling to get near her with a needle, build a race in the field and get her traped behind a gate so she can't move.

I had a pig a while ago with similar symtoms, I take it the colour of the urine is a orangie red?

Sounds something to do with the kidneys to me.

Do you know what the vet gave her? was it pen and strep?

If i were you I speak to them again and ask them for a shot of Draxin it's a bit of a kill or cure drug but if you use it whilst she's up and active it should pull her around, Its proberly worth asking the vet if steroids would help to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS