Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BPA BREED SURVEY RESULTS  (Read 9029 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
BPA BREED SURVEY RESULTS
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:41:28 am »
Following on from the comments made on Liam's Saddleback topic, I thought it may interest some of you to see the most recent breed survey results.
Numbers are significantly
hope you can pick up the doc took me an hour to upload it! ::)
mandy :pig:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:02:33 pm by Fowgill Farm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: BPA BREED SURVEY RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:51:30 am »
No surprise that numbers have nosedived overall and in most breeds, I suppose  :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:33:01 am »
No surprise there even when the BPA them selves say there is no money in rarre breed or native pigs. The high cost of feed and the small if any return is killing the British Smallholder as a pig breeder.
Pigs are human tooo

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:08:20 pm »
This makes me think about breeding pigs even more.

I was discussing with my mates last night and we are going to get into breeding our own. Seeing that has just helped me make the decision to buy registered stock and breed from there

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:27:25 pm »
The problem with BPA figures is that it most probably shows how many people have left the BPA not actually how many have got out of pigs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »
are they tamworth sow figures correct? down to 107 from 500 in 12 mths??

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 01:02:07 pm »
are they tamworth sow figures correct? down to 107 from 500 in 12 mths??
No its a typo sorry told you i had porbs with uploading it as a doc
 should read 407  :-[
Mandy :pig:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:07:27 pm »
phew. not good figures. maybe BPA will lower their fees to help the small breeders.  :roflanim:

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »
I agree with BB. It shows those that are registered with the BPA, not pig keeping in general!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 01:14:56 pm »
The problem with BPA figures is that it most probably shows how many people have left the BPA not actually how many have got out of pigs.
Agree BUT only people in the BPA can register pigs as pedigree for the breeds listed so its a good indication of the numbers pedigree breeding, admittedly it does not account for all those who have pedigree pigs and breed but choose not to birth note or register. For me the most worrying trend is the Saddlebacks & Berkshires who seem to have lost a good number of sows over the last two years as ever the GOS remain steady but bear in mind 800 of their 1524 are in one herd. The number of breeders lost to these 3 breeds alone in two years totals 319 which is a staggering amount of breeders to lose between 3 breeds.
Mandy :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »
Does the BPA have an action plan?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:40:26 pm »

Increase fees to make up for lost income !!!
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:42:10 pm »

Increase fees to make up for lost income !!!

That's not an action plan, that's a death wish
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »
This makes me think about breeding pigs even more.

Liam, Glad you're thinking like that, but make sure you work out how to sell the litters - rare breed pig keeping will only work if we encourage people to buy and eat pigs !  You'll need to spend more time creating demand for your weaners and meat than you'll spend breeding !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »
[
That's not an action plan, that's a death wish

:D

But it's the only one they'll come up with.

Unfortunately the BPA seems to only worry about registration costs.  the committee structure underneath is so large that no decisions are ever made.  As for promoting pigs apart from the very welcome Practical pigs they launched a couple of years ago, there's no money for it, so they reply on the NPA for most of pork promotion, and the NPA, whilst it does much good,  is really about the indoor commercial market.  BPEX who we all pay levies into don't consider small scale farming as part of their remit, as the small boys only contribute 2% of their income.

So basically it's up to all of us to promote locally, educate (children in particular), inform and generate demand.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS