Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Baked beans Recipe?  (Read 5770 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Baked beans Recipe?
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:41:00 pm »
I'm tired of buying baked beans. Does anyone have a good recipe with them, something with a nice rich thick sauce.  If the beans a softened in a pressure cooker all the better.  Had one recipe and boiled the beans for hours and still not soft.   Any recipies would be appreciated.
Roslyn :pig: :cat:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 04:37:01 pm by r+lchick »

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Baked beans
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:51:13 pm »
Do you mean haricot vert/blanc? I think you might have to soak them overnight

This summer I made a mixed bean salad thingy with haricots,broad beans,chick peas,sweetcorn and kidney beans,all simmered in a homemade ragu type sauce with a bit of garlic. Nice hot on toast with grated cheese,or cold with new pots and a leafy salad........Ree

They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »
That sounds tasty Mr Ree.....I'm going to try that.  Thank you.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »
I use a lot of dried beans and I do soak them.  In the pressure cooker they only take 10 minutes.  I just haven't cracked a good thick tomato sauce for them like the Heinz Baked Beans.  Any suggestions?
Ros

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Baked beans Recipe?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:50 pm »
4 tins of chopped toms into a saucepan on the lowest heat possible,simmer for as long as possible without it burning or drying too much. Right towards the end of simmering,add in 5 chopped/crushed garlic cloves,salt,cracked black pepper,(and if being used for a pasta dish) dried Italian herbs. Simmer for another few minutes. Can be frozen into portions,consistency should be a bit runnier than peanut butter.
 If you blend together with a fork,some butter,chopped garlic,parsley and mayonnaise, refridgerate  until stiff again. Cook up some pasta and when plated,dollop a few globs of both butter and tom sauce....... yum!
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:43:18 am »
you really need to soak the beans for at least 12 hours.... will dig out a recipe for you..... we have one we use at home and it is good ;D

Chris

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:18:33 am »
 I soak the beans before I go to work and then cook them when I get home, so they do get just under 12 hours of soaking. Then it is 10 minutes in the pressure cooker. Look forward to the recipe. Would love to try it for Sunday breakfast. Thanks.
Ros

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 05:44:10 pm »
Baked Beans

1kg haricot beans, soaked overnight
25 tomatoes, finely chopped
4 leeks or red onions
8tsp sugar
1Tblsp olive oil
400ml passata
salt and pepper to taste

put beans, tomatoes, onion, and olive oil into an ovenproof dish
add passata to cover, add sugar, salt and pepper and stir
bake at 160C for 30 min
stir again and bake another 30 mins or until tender
freeze ready for heating up

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:59:34 am »
Passata - Sorry never heard of it.  Can you get it in general supermarkets or is it a delicatessan trip?  Will try this weekend.  Thanks

candpdoyle

• Joined Jul 2009
  • whimple
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:49:11 pm »
you can get from the supermarket or most health shops... it's just a runny tomato purree type thing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:39:59 pm »
Lidl has it , too. I think you should get it almost everywhere (next to the tomato concentrate), comes in bottles or tetrapacks.

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 05:06:37 pm »
I must buy some very strange haricott beans.  Put them in soak yesterday afternoon, put them in the oven the next morning, cooked for the hour - hard little bullets (well maybe a little soft but no way edible.)  I resorted to putting them in the pressure cooker for 12 minutes.  Came out great.  1 slight modification, I only cooked 200g of beans.  It did us for breakfast.  Haven't needed lunch.  Will eat again at 8pm.  (We did have home made bread.)
Thanks for the recipe.  Will definitely use again. Ros :cat: :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS