Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why has my cockeral stopped crowing?  (Read 8108 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
why has my cockeral stopped crowing?
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:07:39 am »
I think my cockeral has a cough or cold as he has stopped crowing and sounds sore. any advice?
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: why has my cockeral stopped crowing?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »
How old is he?  I noticed as my RIR got older, he did not crow as much, maybe took too much effort.  Also if they are under the weather they do not crow. 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:04:23 pm »
A wee drop of honey might help
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:40 am »
Could be the time of year - it's not the breeding season, is it? My boy's tail feathers have all fallen out and he IS a bit subdued - I don't see him chasing the girls either.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:28 pm »
Could be the time of year - it's not the breeding season, is it? My boy's tail feathers have all fallen out and he IS a bit subdued - I don't see him chasing the girls either.

Jamie hasn't any feathers either but he still crows as much as before and no girl hen is safe from his favours at any time of the year.  But you can tell Carol that he hasn't tried to kill me yet so no Sunday dinner for her and Graham! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:28:20 pm »
Make the most of the peace and quiet!!  Our black silkie cockerel always sounds abit croaky, he tails off towards the end of his 'cock-a-doodle-doooo!' and finishes it like he's on 60 a day!

I would think Rosemary is right, its not breeding season, so he doesnt have to be as manly, and is probably resting!
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:18 am »
he is still mating a little allso croaking seems to be getting little better does anyone else sujest the honey thing
allso can anyone give me advice as what to do about the grass in chicken run its a massive run and i did not expect them to turn it over like they did how do you go about recovering it are you suppost to mow the grass or what please help me you are all me best freinds!!!!!!! smallholders forever!!!!!!
Langdon ;)

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:49 am »
We move our chickens (+run!) regularly and grass recovers no problem.

If moving is not an option one solution I read was to give them a large area, but only 1/2 of it at a time, giving time for the other half to recover.  Hoping to do this myself eventually, so would love to know if it works!

Else give up on grass and use a renewable surface eg bark, sharp sand that can be removed and replaced, composting the old stuff.

Sure others here will also have some useful help!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »
The grass in my chicken run disappeared in about a week - 18 feet by 36 feet for a dozen or so birds.  It also gets very wet. So the plan is to put in some drainage pipes in gravel going to the stream running through the front garden, then bark it over after removing the ducks as apparently they choke on bark.  They will have their own run with slabs.  Mine all get out for a garden jaunt a couple of hours a day and come back in for their tea when they see the blue plastic cup being waved at them!  I think QWOLF is going to help me with this sometime..

Janette1970

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North Lincs
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:48:01 pm »
Do they start to crow when they are sexually mature?  :dunce:
Can anyone tell me when this might be?  :dunce:

Sorry for the dunce questions.  :D

love  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:  :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »
About the same time as the hens get to point of lay I've noticed - but that's only from about four cockerels over a period of a few years.  Might have been coincidence

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS