Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanning mistake?  (Read 1899 times)

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
Scanning mistake?
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:55:45 pm »
I had my girls scanned this year as the ram didn't seem up to much. I was disappointed to find only one was expecting twins and the rest were empty. My girl with twins is now looking heavy in the bottom of the belly, but not bagged up yet. But three or four of my other girls look the same, look really pregnant to me...... The ram went in Nov 15th and the scanner came 25th Jan, do you think there is any possibility of error? Has anyone ever experienced the scanner being wrong?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Scanning mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
How experienced was your scanner?  It was maybe a little bit soon to scan - our very good scanner on the moorland farm used to scan on Feb 6th for sheep who'd been tupped from Nov 6th, so yours was scanning three weeks sooner than that.   Plus - how long was the ram with them?  Could he have tupped them second, or even third cycle?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 08:10:19 pm »
The 1st due date is about 9/4/14 so they shouldn't be bagging up yet

We scan at the same interval as you quote and every year get maybe 1 out of 900 wrong , (usually a trip not a twin)

Could be a poss of error but unlikely IMO----but I am guessing if you still have them you don't intend to cull them so you will find out in due course!

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:07:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies, time will tell I suppose!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS