Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Llamas and pigs.  (Read 5315 times)

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
Llamas and pigs.
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:44 pm »
We are having ongoing problems with foxes in the outdoor farrowing, does anyone know how Llamas  interact with pigs - would they keep foxes out of the farrowing paddock, or do they need to bond with the stock as with sheep in order for them to be protective?

HappyHippy

Re: Llamas and pigs.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:53:38 pm »
I don't have Llama's, but do have a friend with both and the Llama doesn't like her pigs - not one bit  ::)
It could just be her Llama, or it could be all Llama's - I'm not sure  :-\

Are the foxes stealing piglets from the arcs ? Would moving the pigs closer to your house be possible? It might help discourage foxes.

Sorry to hear you're having problems and sorry I can't help with more advice  :(

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »
I would guess llamas would need better grazing than what is available in a pig paddock.
do you have many litters?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »
I no longer have my llama, but he was fine with the old sheep and goats that were already there, but was very aggressive with any newcomers in his field.  He only ever saw our pigs over the fence, and would lean over and look at them, but I would not be keen on having them in with him!!

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
Thank you for the replies, I suspected there might have been a problem between camelids and pigs otherwise more people would be keeping them. I farrow 35 - 40 sows every three weeks in a paddock with an 8 strand electric "fox fence" the last problem fox was jumping over, the game keepers next door shot three foxes and the problems stopped, now the sows are again being aggressive and there have been prints form a younger fox in the paddocks, but no piglets missing as yet this time. There is enough grass in the paddock but outside of the farrowing pens to support several sheep, or a llama, and we would supply hay and nuts as required.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS