Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Oh, you have a barn...?"  (Read 4276 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
"Oh, you have a barn...?"
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:01:52 pm »
Anyone else running a free storage facility for friends/acquaintances? Both our stables are chock-a-block and our large barn doesn't have much space left...

sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: "Oh, you have a barn...?"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:05:29 pm »
We've had hints but quietly ignored them  ;D

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:53:25 pm »
Not quite in the barn, but we now have an old fire engine in our yard !!
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 01:57:48 pm »
I wish I had a barn, or a neighbour with an empty one.

My plan is to build a workshop/store/garage but planning process is so cumbersome and obstructive around here that I need to look at permitted development options. If anybody has any experience with this...

My brother had a couple of outbuildings that were constantly full of other people's crap and I'm sure that was one of the deciding factors to him pulling them down. He had a bloody boat in one of them - 35 miles from the sea!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »
It's not friends and acqaintances, it's offspring  :rant:

Mind, I used to do that to my Dad but he would bring up a boot load of my stuff with every visit, til I had it all back.   I think you have to be hard-hearted like he was'
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:34:23 pm »
My mum and sister, both do it.... My mum under the guise of 'you might be able to sell by my old marty wilde records on ebay'.  My sister with, its much easier if I leave all our wetsuits with you (we live 200m apart) as I might come next time on the train.  Last summer my sisters partner came up in his long wheel base works vans for a flying weekend to see sis and kids while they where here on a month long holiday.  OH discreetly went round the house, shed under the beds and collected all sisters and kids stuff up, then said to sister's partner, I got a few things for you to take back to Notts.  OH filled the van. :roflanim: :roflanim:  I got a picture to prove it as evidence for next time. ;D

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:35:43 pm »
We've had hints but quietly ignored them  ;D

That made me laff.    :roflanim:

You would get on well with my sister....  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:35:21 pm »
My daughter Has had her own house for 18 years but I still have a wardrobe full of her clothes "I might want them" and now my loft is full of grand children's outgrown clothes, high chairs and cots! Good job I'm not a hoarder.
Since he retired in September OH has managed to fill a 12x20 shed full of cr4p.
Anne

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:05 pm »
I replied to an advert and offered one of our barns to a chap who wanted to store his "vintage cars". He was willing to pay me to have 3 old Aston Martins in my barn !!! Turns out we lived too far from him. Now the barn just has the old cart that the donkey  pulled in it. :'(
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:37 pm »
the village were so keen to get their corrupt little mitts on our barn they started a concerted campaign to get us to sell it to them. When we said no they started another campaign to kid us into thinking we didn't even own it. It took... strong words to get them all to shut up.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
The first thing someone said to me when I had my 60 x 30 ft barn put up was - that would just fit our combine harvester, and I don't think they were joking, but I laughed anyway
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »
We lived in our last house for 23yrs and of course have a whole load of c***. We have moved to a disused dairy farm with an old cow shed, milking parlour and associated barns all a bit tatty but standing, it amazes me when people ask are we going to knock them down. Their main purpose seems to be shelter from the wind that blows across the fens, but of course we are filling them with the c*** we had and of course all the new stuff we need. If we stay here 20yrs I am sure all of them will be full.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 07:36:15 am »
the key to crumbling outbuildings is to fill them with so much stuff they become self supporting.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 09:39:58 am »
A friend of mine put a load of stuff in one of my old stables and it all got soaked/eaten by mice. The latest stuff has all gone up on pallets and will be covered with a tarp but I'm sure once the mice find a nice tasty sofa then they'll tuck in!
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
It's not friends and acqaintances, it's offspring  :rant:

Mind, I used to do that to my Dad but he would bring up a boot load of my stuff with every visit, til I had it all back.   I think you have to be hard-hearted like he was'

It's not offspring! It's PARENTS! My mum is looking to sell her place and move closer to us but unlikely she will find somewhere she can set up her workshop (she is a smith) so it is now all in our workshop. She is welcome to the barn as long as she is happy to share with the sheep. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS