Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Let down at the last minute  (Read 4571 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Let down at the last minute
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
After much preparation, anticipation and excitement (not to mention many £££) the people selling us our 1st goats have changed their minds!  :gloomy:
So we are back to square one and are yet again looking for some milking goats to buy. If anyone has any ideas please do let me know. No more pre-loved for me that's for sure!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Let down at the last minute
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:10:41 pm »
Where in the country are you?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:11:10 pm »
That's a great pity.  What was meant for you won't pass you by however.  Let us all know your area Mariegold, you've got a big audience here and someone will know someone who can help.   :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »
Thanks both! I'm in Gloucestershire, not really goat country for some reason. Its so difficult when you have your heart set on something but I will keep looking. Just poured the BIGGEST gin and tonic.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »
I don't think anywhere in Britain is "goat country" nowadays... I will have some stock (GG's, one BT and one GGxBT goatling) for sale after kidding/lambing, but you are probably too far away. Mind you, one of my GG milkers went to Gloucestershire last autumn, so people are prepared to travel for the right stock.

Many serious goatkeepers advertise their stock on www.ukgoats.co.uk - maybe worth keeping a look at it regularly.

I am sure you will get "your" girls eventually, however I personally steer clear of pre-loved or facebook...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 12:08:57 am »
I would also steer clear of Preloved but Facebook has a group called Goats for Sale and Wanted that might be worth looking at.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 09:07:01 am »
there is also a Facebook page called pedigree livestock for sale and wanted

we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 10:03:11 am »
I have sold successfully from farming ads and preloved.   I have boer x not far from you but obviously not much use for milking. Their is someone on here based at Malmesbury who has a few golden guernseys, depends what breed you are after.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:59 pm »
We have also sold through preloved and Farming ads, not everyone on preloved is dodgy and I do know several show people that advertises on there  ::)
some of the people that have bought off us are in contact with us all of the time and have infact  have become good friends. After all the same people can read the adds on preloved as can read the ads on UK goats , breed club classifieds etc  ::)
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:41 pm »
I've sold some goats on preloved, gives you a chance to 'chat online' and find out a bit about them before actually contacting them, or if you don't like the sound of them ignore, or when they come in offering you £25-£30 (and would take her that day) after the first couple where I replied that they are cared for and worth a lot more, I now just delete. But a lot of people check out preloved ads, along with other 'goaty' sites.
Don't worry Mariegold, some things aren't meant to be, if it is they'll come back to you, but in the meantime it's an opportunity to look for something you really want, rather than grabbing the first thing available?
If theres no real rush it may be better to wait till better weather anyway, or in late spring / summer when the market is flooded with youngsters?
Is there a local goat club you could join to be getting in with others?
quote-
(not to mention many £££)
is that just preperation/travel? they didn't get a deposit off you did they? (if they did it may be best to broadcast that to warn others)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:32:42 pm »
Thanks for all the useful thoughts and suggestions! I have been in contact with someone on ukgoats.co.uk who has two goats available in kid, she can deliver them next week so fingers crossed my worries are over. Hurrah. Will now pour a celebratory gin instead. The many £££ spent was on preparation, travel etc. Pretty sure they would have liked me to leave a deposit but I guess deep down I knew something wasn't right...... I guess when she told me she transported 5 adult goats in her people carrier from Devon to Llanelli I should have had alarm bells ringing? Been a good lesson.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 05:54:37 pm »
Ironically, I bought my first 4 goats from Gloucestershire.  There is a large saanen farm there. Good to hear you have some replacements lined up, really sorry to hear the first lot fell through - probably for a good reason though and you may have saved yourself much heartache  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:25 pm »
That's great, it's very disappointing when you expect something.  These ones are probably much nicer anyway  :D  good luck  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »
it just wasn't meant to be ... like our first goat-arrangements that fell through. In the long run, better that it did I think though our goat-keeping hasn't always be straightforward!

you'll find the goats, they'll need you just like you need them :goat: and you'll know when its right :)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:15 pm »
 :excited:  Getting two in kid goats is great.  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS