Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: . Tack and gear , leather treatment  (Read 4703 times)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
. Tack and gear , leather treatment
« on: February 27, 2014, 01:59:05 pm »
What is the best treatment for leather tack etc .
I did have neatsfoot oil at one time , scary price now though .
I also had some stuff in a tin , the tin rusted and the stuff put in another container , and i have forgotten the name . It revived old stiff leather .
I have saddle soap , but wondered if there was a cheap type of oil that keeps leather soft and plyable . In times gone by , working gear would be wiped with fat , mainly pig fat i think . That does work , but if the dogs get hold of any leather treated  that way , they eat it , i know this , as a couple of working bridles ended up in the dogs a few years ago .

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: . Tack and gear , leather treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:04 pm »
If I am doing a 'proper clean' I use horsemans one step which is great for lifting grease and grime then i use a leather balsalm. ( I get mine from equestrian clearance it's about £6 a pot but seems to last a long time, they also do neatsfoot oil at a reasonable price). It works for me. I know someone that 'boiled' a bridle in a saucepan full of veg oil (they were told the oil absorbed better warm!) Let's just say a deep fried bridle wasn't very supple!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »
I clean using saddle soap and soften with LeatherGenie! I bought it at the Royal Welsh a few years ago and I use it on my walking boots too. It smells like honey and lasts forever.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

coltsfoot

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »
Ko-cha-line is very good for restoring leather, and the absorbine one step is perhaps the most popular that we stock....it out sells any other make  :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »
Its all pricey - anything horsey always is.  I have been known to put bits of old harness in a bucket with veg oil, and leave to soak ....softens it!!  That's my cheaper option.  Although show harness and bridles I use the proper stuff as Judge may not  take kindly to us and pony smelling like a chip shop!!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
Ko-cha-line was the stuff i had before . It works ok , but i don't have the money to buy it now .
So , veggie oil was what i used in the end . It turned dry , stiff , unusable leather gear , into supple , usable gear almost instantly .
Cost ? , so far about 50p max . I have revived a huge amount so far , about half of what there is regards straps etc , working collars and working saddles to be done still yet , but at least i can afford this treatment , no chips for a bit though !
The dogs don't eat the treated leather as they do leather treated with pig fat either .

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: .
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:52:00 am »
The dogs don't eat the treated leather as they do leather treated with pig fat either .

That was my first idea - most of these expensive treatments seem to have the consistency and look of lard, so why not use that? Never thought of the dogs, though!  ;D Maybe I should think again about using it on my boots; I'll have all the neighbourhood dogs following me about...

Might be a way to make cheap dog chews: old leather scraps, rubbed down with lard?

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Tanglwst, Carmarthenshire
    • Unicorn Leather Saddlery
    • Facebook
Traditional Country Saddler -est 1988

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 11:00:34 am »
Russ,would a mix of bees wax and linseed oil work? I made some as furniture polish but it really needs a bit more linseed oil and at the moment I can't be bothered to melt it again. What I have is in small tins. I can send you one to try if you would like it?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

unicornleather

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Tanglwst, Carmarthenshire
    • Unicorn Leather Saddlery
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »
Russ,would a mix of bees wax and linseed oil work? I made some as furniture polish but it really needs a bit more linseed oil and at the moment I can't be bothered to melt it again. What I have is in small tins. I can send you one to try if you would like it?

Oil in great quantities is not good for hide. Too much beeswax in the mix stops any more conditioner/food wetting in to the hide too.
Oz
Traditional Country Saddler -est 1988

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS