Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off grid static  (Read 11061 times)

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
Re: off grid static
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
We just bought a new fridge, its an LEC is A+ rated and says that its power consumption is 70w. We assumed that this is a maximum  figure. On its arrival we removed 15w light bulb that was fitted, so we now have (I think) a maximum consumption of  55w . with the fridge set to its middle setting the overall consumption should be further reduced. monitoring the inverter it does not seem to be working too hard to power it, and the fridge itself seldom powers up and when it does it is only briefly. I agree with you that a "big" system may not be appropriate for your needs, and a 12v system more than adequate. If you are planning on using power from your system just for the odd weekend, I think that 3x400w panels is excessive. I would opt for  2 to 4 of 80-100w panels (depending on amount of sun and direction facing). A good charge controller is essential to protect the batteries from overcharging when unoccupied, don't rely on cheap ones offered free with some panels.

As for wind turbine, we use an Ampair Pacific 100 it has performed well and we have no complaints, still wizzing after 8 years! There are many small (and cheaper) turbines to choose from. Avoid ones that have "wavy tails" and ones that shut down in strong winds or those that power drops off at too low a wind speed. Happy shopping!!

btw we got fridge from AO.com after looking at the line up in Currys. ordered it on sunday 11pm delivered (north Scotland) 11am Tues.

P

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »
Thanks ever so much for your advice.

I actually meant 3 or 4 100w panels. And I'm glad you mentioned the controller as I was wondering if it was worth the extra £100 or so for a decent one. But I suppose if your protecting £300 of batteries, it makes sense.

Your preaching to the converted with AO.com. As I'm a retailer I try and keep my money local where possible but there prices and service make a complete mockery of everyone else. I've had a chest freezer and an integrated dishwasher from them in the last few months.

I'm looking forward to getting started now.

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 09:17:56 am »
Glad to be of help. I will watch this thread, if you have any questions I will try and answer them. I'm not saying our system is the best, but it works well for us. Our next step is to install a bigger turbine and another set of batteries. Not because our system is inadequate, but because we could then be a little more relaxed about power usage.  Will still be cheaper than our electric bill would have been!!!

P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:19:33 am by pigalicious »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS