Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I the only pig owner who goes to tesco at this time?  (Read 4317 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Am I the only pig owner who goes to tesco at this time?
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »
I'm beginning to be knowed as bread man there 2p a loaf I leave with a trolley full haha!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Am I the only pig owner who goes to tesco at this time?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:56:33 am »
No we used to do this at our local co-op but the bar stewards got wise to it and now all the bread is only half price so its still 60-80p a loaf >:( and they won't let me have it when its out of date! >:(
mandy :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:32 am »
Wish I could get it that cheap.
Our supermarkets stuff bread, croissant and sometimes donnuts in a sack and sell it as "for animals". 5 € a sack so not as cheap as tesco in UK.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:45:21 am »
We get a potato bag with bread, rolls, veg etc that are out of date every week from our local spar. They actually approached me as they hated throwing it out and new I had pigs. My youngest lad was not impressed however when we went to feed the pigs in the morning and saw them getting croissants when I never buy thrm for ourselves..... :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:39 am »
Mine love it mix it all up with some water in a bucket with lots off other goodies from the green grocer :))

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
correct me if I'm wrong but surely bread coming from a supermarket cannot be fed to pigs.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:06 am »
As long as food is not classed as food waste and been in a domestic or commercial kitchen it is legal to feed it your pigs as I understand it here in scotland anyway?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:35:59 am »
does get a bit confusing but i'm pretty sure that things like bakery waste, spent hops from breweries and whey from dairies are ok. its specifically catering waste (domestic and business) and anything likely to contain or have been in contact with animal products. While I personally support the principle of trying to avoid some of the contaminated food problems of the past it can feel terribly wrong to have a filed of hungry pigs who will eat anything and me throwing scraps in the bin. been watching the progress of "The Pig Idea" with interest.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »
I didn't really think about that to be honest.....I've always bought them it and reduced fruit & veg :-/

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 01:17:00 pm »
But bread from a supermarket is not a bakery, they sell meat and if you follow the letter of the law you shouldn't give bread from a supermarket to pigs. This is why the supermarkets are not allowed to give you any veg that is out of date and going for waste.
The pig idea will never happen anyway the big boys will not allow it. To be honest I wouldn't feed swill to my pigs anyway.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:17 pm »
It won't be aloud like you say because off the big boys they can churn out a porker for £10-20 I think there should be abit more leniency for smallholder regards to veg peelings etc

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 01:24:34 pm »
copied from a thread on here a year or so ago titles feeding pigs supermarket bread

There has previously been some controversy on here about feeding supermarket bread to your pigs. I was doing so, (without it passing through my kitchen) thinking I was legal and others disputed the fact.
I contacted DEFRA and have just received their response

Feed Regulations - pigs

Thank you for your email of 10 October. I have been asked to reply.

Generally speaking, where waste food is placed on the market for animal feed, the retailer will need to comply with the requirements of the Feed Hygiene Regulations (Regulation (EC) 183/2005).  There may also be obligations on you as the keeper under the Regulations.

However, if you are purchasing the bread as food and then deciding to use that food for animal feed, then the food retail premises is not responsible under the Feed Hygiene Regulations for placing feed on the market.

If you are a hobby farmer, then you may also be out of scope of the Feed Hygiene Regulations, depending on your activities.  The Feed Hygiene Regulations do not apply to the following:

a, The private domestic production of feed:
     For food producing animals kept for private consumption;
     For animals not kept for food production.[
b, The feeding of food producing animals kept for private domestic consumption or for certain other activities mentioned in the Food Hygiene Regulations.
c, The feeding of animals not kept for food production

You are also intending to store your bread in your stable and not your kitchen (so that it does not become catering waste and therefore illegal to feed).

In summary, if you have purchased in-date bread as food, take the bread home and then decide that it is intended for feeding to your pigs and remove it from the car and store it in the stable, and you are a hobby farmer operating under one of the derogations from the Feed Hygiene Regulations listed above, then you can use the bread as feed, and the requirements of the Feed Hygiene Regulations do not apply

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »
That's so useful. Thank you so much for posting it Devonlad.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS